Program Coordinator (Political Affairs)
With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
The Program Coordinator is a key member of the Political Affairs team, which is based in the Washington, D.C. office. The Program Coordinator is responsible for all administrative support for the Senior Vice President (SVP) of Political Affairs, and the Associate Vice President, Political Affairs. Independent judgment is important and required to plan, prioritize and organize your workload within this busy program. Ideal candidates are driven self-starters with the ability to grasp administrative processes quickly and work well within a team. This is an excellent opportunity to use core business and administrative skills. The Program Coordinator reports to the Senior Specialist, Operations, Political Affairs.
- Responsible for all administrative tasks including travel planning, preparing expense reimbursements, scheduling and all additional administrative tasks necessary to support the Senior Vice President, and Associate Vice President.
- Manage program’s legislative database including tracking of all congressional meetings, letter requests and program’s progress toward goals.
- Attend internal and external meeting and be able to document, identify and track key takeaways, next steps, including research needs.
- Coordinate with the program’s financial analyst on administering contractual agreements for consultants, including working with program staff and consultants to ensure the obligations of contracts are fulfilled and invoices are submitted in a timely fashion.
- Apply excellent organizational, communication, and planning skills by responding to requests for information, helping to coordinate activities and projects for the legislative team and preparing correspondence as needed.
- Manage other administrative tasks associated with staff, including logistics, office needs, and telecommunications.
- A minimum of two years’ work experience in office administration and a Bachelor’s degree, or a Master’s degree with 0-1 year of work experience in office administration.
- Creativity, energy, and the ability to multi-task and get work done under pressure.
- Excellent organizational and administration skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior skills in MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
- Presence, confidence and integrity.
- Ability and willingness to work as a strong team player, while at the same time able to work independently and as a self-starter.
- An understanding of and commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission of protecting the natural environment and limiting humankind’s impact on the planet.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.