Senior Program Officer (Climate)
Senior Program Officer will be responsible for project management, development of technical methods and tools for the WWF-US science-based targets program and engagement of key stakeholders. The candidate will support development of land sector climate emissions tools (with a focus on forests), science-based targets for land intensive supply chains covering deforestation (possibly degradation), and other projects as assigned. This position will play a key role linking WWF’s Climate, Forest and Food teams and connecting with the Science-Based Targets Initiative (SBTi), a project of WWF.
- Develop an SBTi target-setting pathway for land-intensive supply chains. This will include working closely with the SBTi international team and the WWF US Forest and Food teams.
- Draft key documents, attend conference calls, conduct literature searches, method development and calculations, and contract management to help WWF deliver its conservation mission through increased climate ambition from corporate supply chains.
- Manage grant reporting from WWF and subcontractors to funder; and manage effective internal communications with all relevant WWF teams. Develop requests for proposals with consultants and manage lifecycle of contracts.
- Manage the corporate consultative group for the land sector pathways development (with support from senior staff) and lead outreach to companies/financial community once model is final. This includes hosting workshops with multiple companies to test the guidance and draft model, gather feedback and support the technical team in incorporating feedback into the final model.
- Perform technical tasks, literature reviews, Integrated Assessment Model (IAM) review, drafting documents, pilot testing with corporate data, etc. with support and guidance from senior staff scientists.
- Support senior staff (in their capacities on the steering committee and technical working group) in WWF’s participation in the development of new accounting guidelines for land sector emissions and removals within the Greenhouse Gas Protocol. This will include coordination and partnership with other NGOs to optimize conservation outcomes.
- Travel, domestically and potentially internationally, may be required (2-3 times a year); however, majority of work will occur in the office.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- A bachelor’s degree in Climate Science, Environmental Science/Management, Engineering, Industrial Ecology or other related field, with 6 to 8 years program or other professional experience or an advanced degree with 2+ years’ experience.
- Knowledge of corporate carbon accounting, life cycle assessment, climate change, agriculture, forestry, supply chain dynamics, and trade data analysis, is preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills, research and writing skills, analytical skills, project management skills are required.
- Ability to operate with independence, under pressure, to meet deadlines and commitments
- Ability to work on initiatives with multiple and competing priorities
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively as a team member with a wide range of individuals, possibly across cultures and time zones.
- Submit cover letter and resume through our Careers Page, Requisition #20044
- Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone