OneWorld Sustainable Investments (OW) is a sustainable development-consulting organisation focused on adaptive development and resilience building within the context of changing climate and resource constraints (see www.oneworldgroup.co.za). It has offices in Cape Town, South Africa and Brussels, Europe, and operates across Africa and Asia.
OneWorld delivers advisory services, research and thought leadership across four programmes of work: i) Climate Change: Building and applying evidence of climate impacts for development, people and economies to inform inclusive policy strategies and financing solutions; ii) Natural Resources: Advancing governance and sustainable financing for water, land-use, and biodiversity resource development across administrative and political boundaries; iii) Urban Resilience: Facilitating sustainable urban densification, mobility and municipal governance reform for inclusive cities that secure development gains and enhance the lives of all citizens, and; iv) Energy Transitions: Envisioning just transformational pathways and mobilising green economies to deliver low carbon societies where all benefit from the gains.
Our clients and beneficiaries include donors and International Cooperation Partners, African and Asian governments, transboundary institutions such as River Basin Organisations, continental and regional political, economic and trade communities and climate negotiation blocs in developing countries, as well as the private sector – from SMEs to large industry. We work at a science-policy-development interface and provide technical and policy advisory services to our clients and beneficiaries. A particular strength is our ability to bridge public and private interests in navigating the global-local sustainable development agenda.
A Senior Consultant works with the OneWolrd team providing Technical and Policy Advisor to OneWorld’s clients, funders and beneficiaries. This means providing ongoing scientific and technical, institutional development and capacity building, and global analysis on the key areas of focus in OneWorld’s work and translating this into regional and country needs-based strategies, policies and action plans. The Consultant will additionally be required to integrate, where appropriate, related activities and analyses with other areas of OneWorld’s programmatic work.
Reporting and Management Structure
The Senior Consultant reports to the CEO/Head Advisory Services and will be responsible for leading a small team of researchers and junior technical advisors.
Working with a team and taking leadership roles on OneWorld projects as appropriate/needed. This includes interrogating existing research, identifying research gaps and leading applied research projects, providing the science policy interface, working with multi-disciplinary teams, writing reports, research briefs and papers, and policy briefs.
The Senior Consultant will be required to:
- Present at meetings and conferences from time to time, and to publish research outputs
- Regularly facilitate or co-facilitate project workshops
- Lead and manage stakeholder engagement and participatory analysis processes
- Technically support decision makers in applying project research and policy outcomes (e.g. Risk and Vulnerability Maps)
- Provide technical and strategic support to other OW projects and programmes, outside area of specific specialisation
- Contribute proactively to OneWorld’s programme and project design and validate/refine OneWorld’s related programmatic approaches
- Provide technical and strategic support for OneWorld’s business development efforts, particularly in the writing of proposals and project approach/methodology.
- Provide thought leadership in specialised domain, demonstrated through thought pieces and content creation (for website, the OneWorld Digest, etc.)
The following qualifications and skills set requirements apply:
A Masters-plus qualification in Development Studies/Economics or Philosophy, Environmental Science, Sustainable Development or related Social Sciences.
Required skills and experience include:
- Proven research and policy track record in Development, Climate Change and Resilience, Climate/Environmental Finance; Strategy Development
- Excellent writing and presentation skills with ability to relay technical concepts and research in an easily understandable and relevant manner
- Demonstrated ability to write publishable papers and reports
- Knowledge, experience and understanding of African as well as the relevant global institutions (including regional/transboundary) and governments
- Policy analysis skills
- English language fluency. French/Portuguese an advantage
- Flexibility to travel
Key behavioural requirements include:
- Proven interpersonal/relationship building skills:
- Flexibility and adaptability to the changing requirements of the projects/business
- Ability to take project leadership in any of OneWorld’s three programmatic areas of work
- Team player with ability to lead complex, multi-disciplinary teams
- Proactive 2-way communication with clients/partners/team members and management that is clear concise and fully understood by all parties
- Well organized with the ability to effectively plan and prioritise tasks in order to achieve project deadlines
- Accountable and takes ownership
To apply, please send a CV that responds directly to the requirements set out in this advert, to . Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.