Uganda WASH Advisor (GH-TAMS)
International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over three hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.
Assignment Title: WASH Advisor
Department/Location: Global Health
Technical Point of Contact: GH-TAMS / USAID/Uganda Office of Health and HIV
Type: Short term Consultant
IBTCI is seeking a WASH specialist to provide USAID/Uganda with technical assistance to the Family Health Team to implement the Mission’s WASH portfolio. This portfolio is guided by the U.S. Global Water Strategy (GWS), USAID’s 2013-2018 Water and Development Strategy, USAID’s Water and Development Plan, the Mission’s CDCS and the national Water and Sanitation Policy.
USAID/Uganda’s WASH programs are implemented through the two key activities: 1) Uganda Sanitation for Health activity (USHA) and 2) Regional Health Integration to Enhance Services (RHITES program). The key areas of intervention include a market-based sanitation approach with the private sector, social behavioral change for sanitation, and strengthening WASH governance to promote sustainability and enable the local governments move towards the journey of self-reliance. The Consultant will support the Mission to achieve these objectives.
The period of performance for this consultancy is approximately six months with a start date early to mid-January 2020. Assignment location is Kampala with travel in-country.
The assignment is under IBTCI’s newly awarded five-year Global Health Technical Assistance Mission Support (GH-TAMS) program. GH-TAMS provides USAID’s Bureau for Global Health, Regional Bureaus, and Missions with high quality, external technical expertise to design, support, and manage programs contributing to the achievement of U.S. Government health targets.
Scope of Work
- Strategy support to review current implementation of WASH activities:
- Provide overall technical analysis and guidance to the mission on strategies to optimize current WASH investments
- Provide technical guidance and field support to USHA/WASH activities
- Support the RHITES in implementation/institutionalization of high impact interventions for WASH in health facilities
- Advisory and technical support for WASH activity management:
- Support monitoring, evaluation and learning activities of USHA in collaboration with the Strategic Information (SI) team, to develop a mid-term evaluation SOW for the USHA activity
- Guide USHA in developing interventions for WASH governance and comprehensive approach for adoption of key WASH practices
- In collaboration with COR review USHA and RHITES quarterly reports and other relevant documents
- Support the monitoring and assessments/evaluation of current WASH programming and facilitate linkages for WASH programming with other sectors in the mission
- Mentor the incoming program management specialist for WASH in USAID/Uganda
- Coordination for WASH within the mission and Washington:
- Participate in national level activities including WASH development partners meetings; National Sanitation Working Group and Market Based Sanitation sub-committee
- Provide technical briefings to USAID mission and Uganda stakeholders regarding WASH achievements, challenges and accomplishments
A Master’s degree with at least three (3) years of post-graduate technical WASH experience or a bachelor’s degree with at least seven (7) years post-graduate technical WASH experience.
Supervisory Responsibility: This consultancy does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary consultancy that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Travel: Travel to and from Uganda and travel within Uganda to conduct site visits.