Menstrual Health Strategy Design Facilitator
Proposal closing date:
- December 20, 2019, 5:00 pm Pacific Standard Time
- Statement of Interest/ Cover letter
- 3 References
- Budget + Budget Narrative (please feel free to use your own format)
- Travel costs will be reimbursed based on actuals but please add in line items for travel with best-guess costs.
Splash (www.splash.org), an international non-profit organization, is one of the foremost leaders in providing urban water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) at scale. It has a distinct and clear intervention goal: to improve the lives and health of children living in population-urban cities. Splash’s WASH in Schools program intends to reach 1,200+ government schools in Kolkata and 450 schools in Addis Ababa over the next 5 years with its holistic WASH-in-Schools model consisting of quality WASH infrastructure, innovative menstrual health solutions, and health and hygiene behaviour change programming.
Splash will be hosting a Menstrual Health Strategy Design Summit in March 2020 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The goal of the Strategy Design Summit is to bring together multiple bodies of research from Kolkata, India and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, stakeholders insights, and beneficiary-level inputs to create a Global Menstrual Health Strategy with sub-strategies specific to each local context (Addis Ababa, ET and Kolkata, IN.
Splash is looking to hire an experienced workshop facilitator with extensive background in human centred design, stakeholder engagement, and global health to help with the planning and execution of the Strategy Design Summit. The Strategy Design Summit will be conducted in two parts. First, using human centred design principles, Splash will engage beneficiaries (teachers and students) to highlight insights from a body of formative research and ideate program components. Second, we will bring together stakeholders from government, technical experts, and other implementing partners to define the ultimate Global Splash Menstrual Health program strategy.
There are three anticipated outcomes for the Menstrual Health Strategy Design Summit:
- A finalized Menstrual Health Program Strategy for both Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and Kolkata, India
- Actionable and contextually bound recommendations for program interventions for each country program
- Buy-in from critical stakeholders including beneficiaries, government, and implementing partners
Facilitator Scope of Work
The facilitator of the Menstrual Health Strategy Design Summit will be expected to collaborate with Splash staff on the development of the agenda, participant communication, and content leading up to the Summit.
Specifically the facilitator will:
- Conduct background research on menstrual health, global development, Splash implementation model
- Review any other provided materials to ensure that there is a sufficient level of technical knowledge of the menstrual health space
- Attend the Summit planning kick-off session in Seattle
- Dates TBD
- In-person attendance required
- Organize and co-lead all subsequent planning sessions
- Planning sessions will occur on a monthly basis leading up to the Summit
- Facilitator will be responsible for following-up on action items assigned to Splash staff in support of the Summit preparation
- Submit a final Summit agenda, slide deck, soft-copy supportive materials, and list of required workshop materials/tools/office supplies
- Splash will contribute branded materials for presentations and distributed materials
- Consider a subcontract for a designer to assist with material development
The facilitator of the Menstrual Health Strategy Design Summit will be expected to travel to the Summit location, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 3 days ahead of the planned sessions to assist with logistical preparation, meet the local Addis team, and finalize the Summit agenda.
During the Summit, the facilitator will:
- Attend the Summit and co-facilitate activities at the event
- Lead the Summit attendees in applying design thinking towards the intended outcomes listed above
- Achieve the stated goals for each of the working group meetings as determined during the planning phase.
- The facilitator will be responsible for successfully guiding your working group to achieve the stated outcomes.
- Submit a written summary of each working group session
- Help build the products/processes/tools
- Conduct a debrief with Splash staff
Period of Performance
Hire Date (December 2019) - April 15, 2020
Level of Effort
30 days, subject to negotiation