U.K. nationals: Environmental Monitoring Officer 2 (Analysis and Reporting)
We’re looking for a highly motivated professional with a strong interest and knowledge in freshwater ecology and the environment to join the team and work in the following areas;
•Identification of freshwater invertebrate samples in the laboratory,
•Collection of environmental data such as freshwater invertebrate samples, freshwater macrophyte surveys and fish surveys.
•Office based data processing, validation and quality assurance.
•Data interpretation and report writing to influence and support environmental planning and decision making.
The post will also include assisting with non-routine investigational work and environmental incident response.
The Analysis and Reporting team provides environmental data and evidence to environmental planning teams, environmental management teams, fisheries and water resource activities undertaken in our area. We deliver a vital service that underpins much of the Environment Agency’s statutory responsibilities regarding river basin planning and management.
We’re seeking a candidate with good ecological knowledge and some environmental monitoring experience both office based and in the field. You’ll be qualified with relevant vocational or academic training in a science related discipline and possess proven ability and/or knowledge of:
• environmental monitoring of rivers and lakes;
• field-based data acquisition capabilities – such as environmental data, macro-invertebrate samples, macrophyte surveys, river habitat surveys and electric fishing surveys;
• laboratory analysis of ecological samples – algae and mixed level identification of macro-invertebrates to quality assured standards;
• data management, understanding of ecological, chemical and fisheries data, ability to use GIS and multi-functional reporting all with attention to data quality;
• excellent interpersonal and communication skills and an awareness of health & safety best practice;
Contact and additional information
Please contact Lesley Rippon at with any questions.
Interview will include an invertebrate i.d. lab test for which identification keys will be available.
Job description attachment 1
Job description attachment 2
17/12/2019, 23:55 hours