The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The Technical Adviser reports to the FAO Representative in Pakistan and works in close collaboration with the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme) and lead technical officers.
Management of project activities timely and efficiently ensuring the use of Climate Resilient Agriculture techniques as well as the use of Climate Resilient Agriculture and Water Management in all interventions.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of departmental/divisional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with the office’s objectives and FAO’s Strategic Objectives.
• Provides technical leadership assistance on the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; assists in the review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies follow-up actions;
• Coordinates programme-related activities and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects and the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Supervises the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Contributes to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Participates in activities such as structuring of training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Provides advice regarding the development of policies and strategies, as well as national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
• Leads the implementation of the 'Transforming Indus Basin with Climate Resilient Agriculture and Water Management' activities;
• Prepares detailed annual work plans, targets and budgets estimations according to provincial and district needs;
• Oversees overall implementation of activities, including the establishment of development goals - project targets and allocation thereof to provincial programme offices (Multan and Hyderabad), and structuring of interventions in the eight project districts of Punjab and Sind provinces;
• Leads coordination and communication-related activities and provides technical support to International Technical Advisers (ITA) and provincial coordinators and technical leaders in the project;
• Ensures comprehensive programmatic policies and procedures for the smooth implementation of activities to be developed, revised and maintained;
• Identifies potential areas of Climate Smart Agriculture and Water Management policies and designs interventions to be supported by the project in consultation with government agricultural departments, irrigation departments, farmer groups and associations, universities and research institutes, and other relevant stakeholders;
• Oversees and engages the programme staff to structure interventions to contribute to improved climate resilience of Pakistan in their respective regions, ensuring conformity to donor and FAO standards and quality;
• Identifies prevailing policy, legislative or regulatory constraints impeding development of the sector, or subsectors, and designs interventions accordingly;
• Ensures good level of coordination and integration of new programme assessments and project evaluations in the provinces.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advance university degree in agricultural economics, rural development, climate change or relevant agro-allied disciplines;
• Seven years of relevant experience in technical cooperation related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Extent and relevance of experience in working with intergovernmental bodies and multidisciplinary teams;
• Specific experience in Climate Smart Agriculture and Water Management preferably with broad ranging skills and capabilities in the management, operation, promotion and development of the horticultural sector, together with exposure of private/public sector partnerships and excellent communication skills;
• Extent and relevance of experience in promoting climate resilience and effective water management, through innovative thinking, information and technologies and intersectoral collaboration, are considered prerequisites;
• Experience working with or in international and donor organizations with implementation of participatory projects;
• Extent and relevance of experience in analysing natural resources management and related issues;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the preparation of technical and policy reports, guidelines and manuals;
• Demonstrated ability to mobilize resources.