Communications Officer (ADAPT: Nature-based Solutions (NbS) for Resilient Societies)
IUCN Regional Office for Eastern Europe and Central Asia (ECARO) is seeking to recruit an experienced and enthusiastic candidate to join the team as Communications Officer. The successful candidate will work in close cooperation with the IUCN ECARO Nature-based Solutions team and Regional Communications Officer and be responsible for the coordination and management of communications activities in the ADAPT: Nature-based Solutions (NbS) for Resilient Societies in the Western Balkans project.
ADAPT is a project funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) that aims to increase ecosystem and community resilience to climate change and environmental degradation in the Western Balkans. The project brings together Western Balkan economies to develop strategies to strengthen knowledge and awareness of nature-based disaster risk reduction solutions as well as capacities to implement such solutions; to enhance the integration of NbS and equitable climate-smart planning into relevant policies; and to increase the implementation of NbS solutions for disaster risk reduction, including through selected pilot sites. The primary task of the Communications Officer will be to draft, implement and monitor the success of the communications strategy that will contribute to effective project implementation and delivery of project results.
Other tasks will include support to the Regional Communications Officer in the implementation of other IUCN ECARO communication activities with the aim to increase IUCN’s brand awareness and visibility and promote IUCN’s mission, values and knowledge standards in the region.
• Ensure ADAPT communications is effective, strategic, results-oriented, coherent and consistent with IUCN policy and ECARO communications objectives and practices;
• Comply with all administrative schedules, including planning, management and reporting to the donor for the communications component of the ADAPT project;
• Provide support to IUCN ECARO communications, outreach and visibility.
• Coordinate and manage communications activities in the ADAPT project, including technical and administrative tasks, in close cooperation with the project team;
• Design and implement a tailored ADAPT Communications strategy aiming to increase the knowledge of NbS and awareness and participation of key stakeholders in the project;
• Oversee implementation and measure impact of the ADAPT Communications strategy, and propose its adjustment where needed;
• Produce web stories, articles, shorthands, printed material,videos and other content for IUCN and external channels, in line with the agreed communications strategy and by liaising with project team, partners and stakeholders;
• Organise and oversee communications in project events;
• Prepare press releases as opportunities arise and coordinate ADAPT media and public relations to ensure increased awareness of NbS in the region;
• Coordinate ADAPT’s presence on the social media – in line with the communications strategy, craft social media messages and posts, and schedule them for maximum impact and strategic balance;
• Actively contribute to other IUCN ECARO communication activities in coordination with the Regional Communications Officer;
• Support project managers in implementing project communications activities and increasing IUCN’s brand awareness and visibility and in the region.
• Represent IUCN ECARO at programme-related events and support organisation of events;
• Carry out other relevant tasks on request and agreement with the line manager.
The gross annual salary for this position is 28.800 EUR subject to deductions for social security contributions and health insurance, and before tax.
• Bachelor's or Master’s degree in a subject related to the field of communications;
• Minimum of or 5 years of professional experience in a field related to communications and outreach;
• Excellent knowledge of communication channels and tools, and proven writing and editing experience;
• Work experience in Eastern Europe, North and Central Asia with particular emphasis on the Western Balkans;
• Capacity to work effectively under time pressure and during extended hours if required;
• Willingness to travel within the region, sometimes at short notice;
• Excellent command of English and at least one of the languages spoken in the region;
• Excellent organizational and networking skills, team-oriented attitude and ability to work independently;
• Good interpersonal skills and ability to interact well with people;
• Computer literacy in MS Office packages;
• Experience of working in an international setting is considered as an asset;
• Knowledge and awareness of nature-based disaster risk reduction solutions and their implementation and the experience in the nature conservation sector is an asset.
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST). Please note that only selected applicants will be personally contacted for interviews.
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/