Adaptation Program Director (Georgetown Climate Center - Georgetown University Law Center)
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
Adaptation Program Director, Georgetown Climate Center - Georgetown University Law Center
The Georgetown University Law Center is currently seeking a dynamic Adaptation Program Director for its Georgetown Climate Center (GCC). This role is a key member of the Georgetown Climate Center leadership team and will provide leadership and strategic direction to GCC's adaptation program overseeing our extensive body of work including reports, analysis, and databases.
The Georgetown Climate Center is committed to building a diverse staff and fostering an inclusive environment that is reflective of the communities we serve. We strongly encourage applications from women and minority candidates.
The Adaptation Program Director will report to the Executive Director and will have duties including, but not limited to:
- The Adaptation Program Director will develop and implement a strategic work plan for the GCC's adaptation team in consultation with the Executive Director that responds to opportunities for GCC to serve as a high-value resource to local jurisdictions, and to inform federal policies. This will include managing three institute associates, including recent GULC graduates and associates with several years of relevant work experience, and overseeing relevant consulting work
Research and Policy Development
- The Adaptation Program Director will lead development of substantive legal and policy analysis and research on topics related to climate change adaptation, including efforts to adapt at the state and local levels, federal law and policy affecting adaptation, and equity considerations related to adaptation and resilience, among othertopics.
Outreach, Stakeholder Engagement & Facilitation
- This role will conduct outreach, stakeholder engagement, and facilitation with city,state and federal officials, NGOs and other stakeholders, and represent GCC with national and regional media. The Director will lead meetings and events with senior government and academic leaders, represent the Center in public speeches and with the press, respond to policymakers' requests for testimony and other input, and produce analysis for broad distribution
- The Adaptation Program Director will support climate center work with students including supporting the climate change practicum and Week One courses, and oversee development and supervision of real-world student projects in the practicumandexternships.Thisincludesworkingwithexternalstakeholdersthat help scope, provide input, and review student work. The Director will also supervise LLM, JD research assistants and recent graduate fellows to support the delivery of adaptation program projects.
Fundraising & Grant Reporting
- This position works closely with the Executive Director and other directors to secure funding for the adaptation program. This includes identifying and cultivating new sponsors for our work, cultivating relationships with program officers of major foundations or other donors, developing grant proposals to support GCC's work and reporting on current grants.
The Adaptation Program Director leads and oversees advanced research and writing projects and ensures the delivery of quality work products. In addition, the Adaptation Program Director will supervise the work of three full-time GCC staff members, consultants, and students.
- J.D. preferred; other graduate degrees and relevant experience would be considered.
- Minimum of five to seven years' experience in environmental law and policy, including climate adaptation and resilience.
- Experience working for or with state, local, or federal agencies and working on topics related to climate adaptation, including equity, environmental justice , sustainability, sea level rise, coastal management and/or land use are desirable.
- Demonstrated experience raising funds and managing complex projects required.
- Excellent research, speaking, and writing skills.
- Professional judgment to represent GCC in interactions with senior local, state and federal officials and other stakeholdersis required.
- Strong interpersonal skills, project management skills, writing and editing skills, professionalism, and sound judgment are required.