Chief Operating Officer
About the Climate Bonds Initiative
The Climate Bonds Initiative (CBI) is an investor-focused NGO working to mobilise the $100 trillion global bond market for climate change solutions. The organisation is leading the development of climate finance solutions with global stakeholders: governments, investors, banks and large companies.
Our main work streams are green bond standards and certification, green bond data and market analysis, policy analysis, green capital markets development and communications.
Climate Bonds is a small team driven by a big mission. You will be working within an organisation that is leading the development of innovative international climate finance solutions. Several projects are underway on multiple continents with a wide variety of stakeholders.
The COO role is a new role designed to be the spine of the organisation. As a member of the senior management team, This role will be responsible for overseeing our project pipelines from funding to execution, as well as our financial well-being, financial strategy and day-to-day operational excellence. Covering Programme Management, Operations, Finance, IT and HR, the role requires an experienced and effective leader, with outstanding financial ability, able to lead across both operational and strategic spheres.
The overarching purpose of the COO position is to work with the CEO and Deputy CEO on defining the programme, financial and operational strategies, and then to implement them, enabling us to deliver our objectives. You will be confident and vibrant, with previous experience in dynamic, fast paced, growing organisations. A motivated all-rounder, you will hit the ground running and understand our work and goals. We are at a key moment of development, so this is a key opportunity to make your mark in an environment which promotes frank and honest feedback in the pursuit of excellence.
- Organise our growing pool of projects, make them hum!
- Oversee the successful and timely delivery of key market development activities and campaigns.
- Manage project planning, and risk management.
- Ensure effective follow-up with stakeholders for major programmes.
- Ensure effective oversight and assurance of funded programmes.
- Ensure effective project budget management
- Relationship management with stakeholders and partners, staff management
- securing resources/expertise as required, e.g.: appointing supporting professional advisers
- Ensuring effective and regular dialogue with relevant parties to promote problem solving, team work and risk sharing
Business Management And Operations
- Work to ensure the best possible operating position with regard to income, costs, managing financial affairs and leading on financial strategy
- Act as a senior member of the Management Team, contributing to the development of the organisation’s strategy for achieving its objectives
- To work on strategic and tactical issues facing us, alongside the CEO and Deputy CEO and the other members of the Senior Management Team. ensure its compliance with statutory and other regulations.
- Foster a dynamic and entrepreneurial spirit in our approach to our business and operations.
- Lead the organisation’s policy and practice on the identification and management of risk
- Ensure we have an excellent HR function with policies and practice that promote our culture.
- Ensure we have the best affordable IT infrastructure and resources.
- Serve as primary liaison to legal counsel in addressing legal issues e.g. copyright, antitrust, governing instruments, partnerships, licensing
- Oversee organisational insurance policies
- Oversee event logistics, online webinars and meetings
- Play a significant role in long-term planning towards operational excellence
Financial Management And Planning
- Lead the preparation of the annual budget and budget forecasts and support the CEO in gaining the Boards' approval.
- Manage the Finance team to ensure that processing and returns are timely and correct and appropriate management information is available. Ensure the audit process runs smoothly.
- Ensure processes and relationships exist to enable delivery of projects on time and on budget.
- Continually review business processes and operating practices to improve efficiency.
Qualifications and Experience
- Eligible to work in the UK
- Proven ability to manage, coordinate and prioritise across multiple projects and timeframes
- Motivated, organised and a self-starter
- Proficient with MS Office and various business software (Salesforce CRM, Xero)
- Good working knowledge of institutional investment industry and of debt capital markets.
- Well-developed understanding of the challenge of climate change.
- Proven experience as Chief Operating Office or relevant role
- Proven success in running a finance function.
- Understanding of business functions such as HR, Finance, IT etc.
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development.
- Proven experience of identifying strategic issues and successfully addressing them.
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving.
- Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities.
- Significant responsibility for and success in conducting contractual negotiations.
- Able to think strategically, with creativity grounded in pragmatism.
- Strong organisational skills combined with excellent emotional intelligence.
- Clarity of vision regarding the big picture and organisational objectives.
- Verbal and numerical analysis and presentational skills, with the ability to reach incisive and grounded conclusions in excellent written and spoken English
- Willing to roll up his or her sleeves and get into the detail.
- Driven, energetic and energising in personal style.
- Knowledge of financial markets and particularly bond markets preferable
- Proven excellence in management of a dispersed staff, leading and supporting them.
- Previous experience in IT and managing/upgrading IT software and hardware.
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics.
- Experience of identifying need for and implementing business change.
- Experience in Not for Profit / Charity Sector.
- Understanding of international standards development and schemes.
- Degree Level qualification: BSc/BA in Business Administration or relevant field; MSc/MBA a plus
More information on the Climate Bonds Initiative can be found at www.climatebonds.net
Send your CV and cover letter as a PDF file saved in your name to email@example.com quoting reference ‘COO’ in subject line.