Water, Sanitation & Hygiene Specialist
The Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Specialist will work closely with the Deputy Chiefs of Party (DCOPs) and Field Managers to provide periodic technical support and guidance to the monitoring of WASH humanitarian assistance interventions in Syria. This support will be provided directly to staff working in the Amman, Jordan office and remotely to research and monitoring teams working in Syria.
The ideal candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills and must be comfortable working in multidisciplinary teams and in an environment in which there may be team members with varying backgrounds and skill levels. In conducting these activities, the WASH Specialist will be expected to work in close collaboration with other project and implementing partner staff.
The WASH Specialist will contribute to the overall effectiveness of the project by providing technical contributions to the following activities:
- Participate (as necessary) in consultations with organizations implementing WASH humanitarian assistance interventions in Syria.
- Contribute to the development of quantitative and qualitative data collection instruments for WASH humanitarian assistance interventions.
- Develop data analysis plans, including coding frameworks, for specific WASH humanitarian assistance monitoring tasks.
- Train (remotely) data collection and monitoring teams to collect robust, reliable and accurate data on WASH humanitarian assistance interventions implemented by organizations working in Syria.
- Identify potential gaps in data collection approaches employed for monitoring WASH humanitarian assistance interventions implemented by organizations working in Syria.
- A minimum of 3 years of field experience in relevant sectors (Monitoring & Evaluation, Engineering, and WASH) in the international development or humanitarian assistance context.
- Proven experience in conducting WASH related activities.
- Native level fluency in Arabic.
- Professionally fluent in the English language
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal oversight.
- Familiarity with the minimum standards for WASH humanitarian assistance as outlined by the Sphere handbook (https://spherestandards.org/wp-content/uploads/Sphere-Handbook-2018-EN.pdf).
- Experience developing research instruments for evaluation and research or monitoring activities.
- Experience working on humanitarian assistance projects.
- Experience in working in Syria or on projects related to the Syrian humanitarian crisis.
- Proficiency and experience with one or more mobile data collection platforms
Level of Effort (LoE)
The WASH Specialist will provide periodic support to the project as WASH interventions are identified and selected for third party monitoring. It is estimated that this will require between 20 and 45 days of LoE per year.
Water, Sanitation & Hygiene Specialist, Amman, Jordan