Senior Communications Specialist (U.S. Climate)
The Senior Communications Specialist will assist the Senior Director, U.S. Climate Policy & Analysis and the Senior Director of Regulatory Strategy and work directly with experts in EDF’s Climate Program to implement and manage strategic communications plans in order to advance the goals of Environmental Defense Fund, helping to achieve policy objectives and maintain EDF’s leadership role across the country. The Senior Communications Specialist will often play the role of a generalist utilizing skill sets in basic graphic and web design, video editing, strategy and technical and persuasive writing. Position reports to the Communications Manager, Political Affairs & Climate.
- Execute policy-related communications strategies and draft policy-oriented blogs, op-eds, and other materials.
- Write press releases; produce talking points; produce and promote social media.
- Build and maintaining positive working relationships with targeted online, print and broadcast journalists, editorial writers and columnists; with particular emphasis on both policy-oriented outlets and state based general media.
- Researching and pitching EDF experts for thought-leading environment and energy-related speaking events across the country.
- Garnering, tracking and marketing earned media exposure in key media outlets
- Help to maintain electronic files, including media lists, press clips, collateral, etc.
- Execute offline and online strategic communications plans for campaign and program activities and for targeted branding efforts in key states.
- Respond to breaking news and legislative events.
- Execute long-term strategic communications planning, and drive forward the implementation of advocacy-oriented communications plans.
- Manage vendors and collaborate with coalition partners.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree in journalism, public relations, communications or marketing, with a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience developing, managing, and executing communications strategies preferably in the advocacy context.
- Excellent writing, proofing and editing skills.
- Background or strong knowledge of climate and energy policy.
- Proficiency with social media tools and outlets.
- Practical, real-world experience in environmental media and communications or climate/energy policy.
- Experience working on local and/or statewide press outreach a plus.
- Basic graphic and web design and video editing experience a plus.
- Experience managing contractors (e.g. Web and graphic designers, communications consultants, etc.).
- Ability to adapt to frequent change and prioritize multiple tasks effectively under deadline pressure.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Interest in environment advocacy.
- Familiarity with cutting-edge communication technologies preferred (e.g. Vocus, etc.).
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.