Associate WASH Officer (Surface Water Resource Management)
Description of task
- Provide technical support and guidance to UNHCR sub-office, field offices and partners on activities within the areas of WASH.
- Undertake needs and resource assessments with sub-office and field offices to prioritize needs and activities in the provision of WASH services refugees and returnees.
- Make provisions for the installation of WASH services in any new camp or camp extension identified for the settlement of refugees in direct coordination and collaboration with the designated site planner or shelter officer.
- Contribute to the scale up of the UNHCR WASH monitoring framework in projects and keep the records updated.
- Assist in and check engineering calculations leading to detailed drawings for required WASH infrastructures and activities and associated cost estimates for camps/settlements, transit centers, etc.
- Contribute to develop training plans and tools and provide inputs in training sessions to ensure that implementing partners, refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR acquire the needed knowledge and skills.
- Represent the WASH sector internally and externally, in particular in the WASH cluster with other relevant actors/technical coordination platforms as necessary.
- Emergency response: Willing to be deployed for the first phase emergency response to carry out needs assessment and support the country to develop a WASH strategic plan of response.
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Type of Degree: Engineering (preferably MSc) in hydrology, hydrogeology, hydraulics, water/sanitation management, civil engineering or environmental sciences required. Additional training in public health/hygiene promotion desirable.
Required experience: 36 Months
A minimum of 2- 3 years of previous job experience relevant to the function or in hydrology, hydrogeology, hydraulics, water/sanitation management, (sand) dams, artificial ponds, , integrated water resource management, meteorological/topgraphic modelling and risk assessment in topography and modeling.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
- French(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise: Water quality control
Area of expertise details:
Computer skills: Proficiency in computer software such as MS Access, Excel, PowerPoint and Word. Knowledge of other computer graphics and mapping software such as AutoCAD and GIS.
- Have affinity with or interest in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams