Result of Service
Technical assistance to the implementation of the Russian ODA project in three Central Asian countries (Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan) in particular: output A: consultation, identification of relevant stakeholders, stocktaking and priority setting; Output B: Supply and training of relevant information hardware and software for environmental data management; Output C: Environmental data, information, indicators, statistics, assessments and capacity building; and Output F: National and regional outreach and communications. Effective liaison and communication with national focal points and partner agencies for the Russian ODA project implementation, including technical oversight of supporting partners and of delivery of expert outputs.
11 work months spread over 12 months with possible renewal
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UNEP is implementing a project in Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan called: “Capacity development and technology transfer to improve the generation and use of data and information in support of monitoring the environment in Central Asia”. The project is funded by the Russian Federation Official Development Assistance (Russian ODA). The project will provide the three Central Asian countries with access to full land cover and land use categorization and mapping of their respective territories, including terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems and information from existing monitoring networks. This information will inform national State of Environment Reports, sustainable management of natural resources, address transboundary environmental issues, as well as reporting to the SDGs and major MEAs. Information technology - hardware and software - and institutional and human capacity will be built to operate and maintain these tools and technologies (Geographical Information Systems) through a dedicated training programme rolled out by UNEP with support from technical partners from the Russian Federation. A digital atlas of the environment will be developed and produced which will allow the analysis and assessment of environmental change in the key domains of water, land, and biodiversity and will lead to the production of data flows, development of indicators, generation of statistics and production of pilot water and land accounts. The products will be communicated and outreached to relevant target audiences and workshops will be held to foster regional cooperation and coordination on topics of mutual interest, including transboundary issues.
The consultant is requested to provide expert and technical oversight of the core partners approaches, methods and quality assure the delivery of outputs, as well as assist with the planning, preparation and implementation of expert activities to ensure timely delivery within the target countries.
• To guide the technical development of the Terms of Reference to be established with the core Russian partners (Moscow State University and Institute of Geography, Russian National Academy of Sciences) for technical project implementation, including budgeting and assist in the preparation of inputs for formal contracts;
• To draft technical Terms of References for various stakeholders depending on the agreed roles and responsibilities (in addition to core partners above);
• Provide expert assistance to the overall project manager and the project team to develop detailed schedules for the implementation of activities by various partners/ stakeholders;
• To provide expert inputs to be used for regular internal and external reporting to the donor and relevant stakeholders;
• To develop high-quality expert communication and outreach materials to maximize the visibility of the project;
• To oversee the technical drafting and production of up to three national reports, including quality control (which will be produced by the core Russian partners) capturing country capacities, stocktaking and national priorities by providing expert guidance on the content structure and length, reviewing drafts and ensuring correct consultation processes are involved with agreement on the reports by the national focal points;
• To work with the core Russian partners to ensure the specifications for procuring IT hardware and software are sufficient for UN procurement processes to be initiated and completed successfully;
• To provide technical assistance in the organization of other relevant meetings and capacity building workshops as required, including preparing background technical information, facilitation and meeting reports;
• Provide technical guidance to the core Russian partners regarding establishing the environmental baseline and ensure all the latest information has been accessed and included. Discuss, advise and agree on expert approaches/ methodologies for assessment, data collection, indicators and statistics; and
• To maintain an effective level of communication between the core Russian partners and national stakeholders to support implementation of project activities.
Academic Qualifications: An advanced university degree in environmental sciences, management, environmental engineering, terrestrial/ aquatic ecosystems, natural resource management, biodiversity, environmental sustainability, or any other related field is required. Research and working experience in environmental information systems is an advantage.
Experience: • At least 7 years working experience in the field of environment/sustainability, preferably acquired in an international or national agency, or alternatively, in a research institute or organisation conducting relevant analysis.
• Working experience in environmental monitoring, data collection/ validation, indicator development, shared environmental information systems is required and experience of information systems related to environmental data (GIS, integrated data management systems, databases, digital products) is an advantage.
• Working experience in project management, research, drafting documents/reports, communications - in the field of environmental monitoring, reporting, analysis and assessments, data and indicators is required.
• Experience in the design/implementation of capacity building activities in the Pan European region covering improved data generation, management and reporting on the environmental dimension of the Agenda 2030 and SDGs’.
• Working experience in environmental information in the Pan-European region is required. Experience in environmental information in Central Asia is an asset.
• Technical knowledge of SDGs, in particular, SDG 6 (Water) and SDG 15 (Land) is an advantage.
• Working experience in international organizations and with large projects is an advantage. Knowledge of/experience in the UN system is an advantage.
• Excellent writing and communication skills are essential.
Language: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of other UN languages is an asset.