(Senior) Environment Specialist
The term of this contract will be 1 years; as this is a temporary replacement assignment, no extension or conversion of the contract is foreseen.
Panel interviews are anticipated from mid-JANUARY 2020.
JASPERS (Joint Assistance to Support Projects in European Regions) is a partnership between the European Commission and the EIB with the aim of helping EU and Acceding Countries achieve better access to EU Grant Funding, with particular emphasis on providing technical assistance in the preparation of eligible infrastructure projects. In the context of the Multiannual Financial Framework (MFF)
2014-2020, there is a high workload in the transport sector and with expansion in the scope of eligible countries and mandates, including the Connecting Europe Facility and the Instrument for
Pre Accession II.
As an Environment Specialist, internally referred to as (Senior) Officer, you will support the development of a robust project pipeline that will benefit from EU funds and in many cases EIB co-financing, thus contributing to the quality of projects supported by the Bank.
As part of the role, you will be expected to travel to other countries where JASPERS operates.
You will report to the Head of Roads Division and will be located in Vienna.
You will work in close cooperation with other divisions in Advisory Services, the Independent Quality Review Division, Projects and Operations Directorates. In addition, you will interact closely with the Commission Services EC (typically DG REGIO, NEAR, MOVE, ENVI, CLIMA, COMP), beneficiaries and managing authorities in all relevant countries of operation.
- Advising on and assessing, possibly at an early stage, the quality of potential projects and activities for inclusion into the Country Action Plans
- Managing and executing technical assignments for project preparation support and technical assistance to JASPERS’ promoters on eligible projects within the Action Plan, in particular regarding compliance with the environmental acquis
- Provide technical inputs and analyses for the assessment of transport projects submitted for the European Commission co-funding, including from CF, ERDF, CEF and IPA funds
- Advise on the conceptual development and structuring of projects and the analysis of alternatives, taking into account environmental considerations
- Advise on the specific aspects of projects such as compliance with the environmental acquis, mainly EIA, SEA and Habitat directives
- Review the key steps of implementation of the EIA/SEA procedures; quality of the screening exercise, scoping reports, public consultation process, consultation with other authorities and other Member States in case of transboundary EIA, etc.
- Review and control quality of the environmental impact statements, appropriate assessment etc.
- Advise on integrating climate change into preparation and analysis of projects, including climate change adaptation and mitigation needs and disaster resilience
- Assess compliance with EU environmental legislation and conformity with EU Environmental Policy
- Assist in the review, preparation or completion of applications for funding under the Cohesion Fund or the ERDF
- Develop, through the implementation of model projects, the dissemination of international best practice, and the skills needed to take advantage of EU-grants
- Address horizontal or thematic issues that are limiting fund absorption capability in the transport sector
- Share your own information and experience in the preparation of projects with other members of the team in order to enlarge the knowledge and competencies of the team
- Support the activity of other EIA specialists in Regional offices and Headquarters, ensuring a coordinated approach to EIA review process
- Develop and maintain, in close co-ordination with the Head of Division, external contacts, including the corresponding units in the European Commission, public authorities and managing authorities in JASPERS countries of operations.
- Relevant University degree in environmental sciences or other domain relevant for the sector
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience
- Experience in the implementation of EU EIA Directive, mainly preparing EIA reports for major infrastructure projects, NTS and/or reviewing EIA statements
- Experience in assessing and implementing Habitat Directives
- Familiarity with international best practice in your field of expertise
- Previous experience in a coordination role will be an advantage
- Knowledge of standard IT tools
- Excellent knowledge of English and/or French(*), with a good knowledge of the other. (Knowledge of one or more languages of the countries where JASPERS operates would be an advantage).
- Achievement Drive: Continually keeps an eye on performance, focusing on improving it, showing drive and determination to meet short and long-term goals.
- Change Orientation: Adapts to differences and changes in the environment; takes a flexible approach to reach outcomes.
- Collaboration: Works cooperatively as part of a team; works collaboratively with peers across organisational boundaries based on a genuine interest in and an accurate understanding of others and their individual perspectives and concerns.
- Organisational Commitment: Is willing to commit to an organisation whose mission is to support Europe and is open to diversity, and to align her/his own behaviour with the organisation’s needs and intrinsic values, acting with integrity in ways that promote the organisation’s mission, policies and rules.