The Water Research Foundation (WRF) is the leading research organization advancing the science of all water to meet the evolving needs of its subscribers and the water sector. WRF is a nonprofit, educational organization that funds, manages, and publishes research on the technology, operation, and management of drinking water, wastewater, reuse, and stormwater systems—all in pursuit of ensuring water quality and improving water services to the public.
WRF is currently seeking to hire multiple research managers to help fulfill its mission of advancing the science of water. The successful candidates will be accountable for creating, maintaining, and disseminating knowledge resources on selected topics of critical importance to water utilities and the water community. The position is also accountable for planning research, managing projects and providing technical oversight to ensure that WRF’s research program is scientifically credible and responsive to utility needs.
Ideal candidates will have a background in science, engineering, environmental science, environmental policy, and/or water resources. General themes of interest include water treatment (drinking water, reuse, wastewater, and stormwater), nutrient management, and biosolids management.
Successful candidates will use their current technical background as a foundation to grow into new areas arising from subscribers’ evolving needs.
- Develop and maintain an in-depth understanding of selected water topics.
- Provide a high level of customer service to subscribers through presentations, authorship, conference involvement, professional association membership, and interactions with media.
- Collaborate and coordinate with water industry professionals to plan, procure and monitor the technical progress of research projects.
- Manage projects to ensure fiscal responsibility, timeliness, and contractual compliance.
- Provide technical content, prepare original materials, and respond to requests for information.
- Manage and coordinate the activities of volunteer advisory committees for assigned research projects and research topics.
- Lead proposal development teams in response to external grant funding opportunities.
- Understand water utility needs in order to inform and guide research planning activities, technical oversight of projects, and knowledge management and outreach.
- Interact in person with both volunteers and water professionals to build consensus and solve problems.
- Develop collaborative relationships and partnerships on selected water topics for the benefit of WRF subscribers and the water sector.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, environmental science, environmental policy, or water resources
- Minimum of 3-5 years water experience with documented competencies in technical writing, oral presentation, group facilitation, and working with volunteers and/or committees
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Strong organizational skills to meet the demands of managing multiple projects and activities
- Polished communication skills with a wide variety of technical and non-technical audiences
- Master’s degree in a technical field
- Knowledge of utilities and/or the larger water community
- Experience with federal administrative and financial requirements
- Office team environment
- Expect to be based out of one office (either Alexandria, VA or Denver, CO) with regular travel to the other office.
- Approximately 10-20% of travel is required.
- WRF's work environment allows for flexible work hours and telecommuting options.
Interested candidates should submit their application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unless a submission deadline has been defined, resumes will be reviewed as they are received, with interviews for promising candidates scheduled on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Work in a collaborative, collegial environment with like-minded professionals dedicated to the science of water and the environment. WRF values employee welfare by offering a comprehensive benefit package and flexible work arrangements for work/life balance.