Consultant: Field Expert
International Water Management Institute (IWMI) seeks the services of an experienced field expert to work on the project "Empowering and enhancing drought management systems in the Middle East North Africa (MENA)".
IWMI, in partnership with the National Drought Mitigation Center (NDMC) and Daugherty Water for Food Global Institute (DWFI) at the University of Nebraska will work with other international and regional partner organizations to implement the Project.
- deliver enhanced drought monitoring/early warning and seasonal forecasting
- drought impact and vulnerability mapping and economic assessment of costs
- drought preparedness planning and resilience building
The project centers on facilitating technology and policy planning solutions for the countries to build self-reliance and capabilities in dealing with the impacts droughts of droughts. These events cannot be stopped, but the impacts they have on communities, the economy and environment can be better managed so reducing the costs on a nation. Beyond the direct benefits of better drought management, the project aims to support the development of enhance resilience in water and agricultural systems so that the impacts vulnerable and marginalized communities are better able to absorb the effects, reducing suffering, loss of livelihoods and supporting a quicker return to more normal conditions
Objective of the Assignment
- To support the coordination, facilitation and implementation of the MENAdrought project in Jordan working with key focal points and agencies, including the organization of workshops, focus group and expert consultation meetings and writeshops.
- To support field data and information collection on the environmental, social and economic impacts of droughts in key areas and value chains in Jordan.
Scope of Work
Coordinate proposed activities with key focal points in Jordan for the MENAdrought project:
- Facilitate ongoing discussions on project progress and support the planning of future activities with focal points (Ministry of Water and Irrigation officials and other related entities).
- Support MENA drought workshops organization and contribute to the facilitation and reporting.
- Facilitate and support contact with focal points and representatives of field institutions and other relevant centres for data and information collection for the MENAdrought project.
- Undertake and support focus group meetings and other field data collection for case studies in key studied basins: Azraq, Amman-Zarqa and Yarmouk.
- Support the IWMI policy consultant in drafting the drought action plan by organizing meetings, workshops, and writeshops, participating and helping with the writing.
- PhD in Agricultural Economics, Agronomy or Water Science
- Extensive fieldwork experience in agriculture, economy, drought, rural livelihoods, and water resource work experience in Jordan.
- Strong networks of key water and agricultural organizations and NGOs in Jordan.
- Fluent English and Arabic speaking skills.