Head of Policy & Campaigns
With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
Environmental Defense Fund Europe is an affiliate of Environmental Defense Fund, a leading international non-profit organisation that creates transformative solutions to the most serious environmental problems. With programs from Boston to Beijing, Environmental Defense Fund has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, economics, market-based approaches, and innovative private-sector partnerships.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we've been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
Among our key objectives, EDF aspires to improve human health and well-being by dramatically reducing exposures to air pollution. Our approach involves empowering local partners with the knowledge, tools and political capacity needed to drive reductions in air pollution. In cities around the world (in the U.S., UK, China and India), EDF is working with a diverse network of researchers, companies, advocacy partners and government officials to scale new air pollution monitoring and mapping technologies. We also seek to advance our understanding of health impacts and empower local actors to identify, advocate for and implement clean air policies around the world.
For this role, we are recruiting a deeply strategic thinker who draws on diverse insights and experience to deliver results. Are you excited by complex problems and skilled at building bridges across diverse partners to identify and implement solutions? Are you equally comfortable proposing innovative legislative and policy solutions to government staff and elected officials and designing the campaigns needed to secure their support?
The Head of Policy & Campaigns will be responsible for setting and guiding the strategy to achieve EDF clean air policy goals in the UK, at the local/city-level (focused on London) and national level. This role will work across EDF staff and coordinate with our external allies to identify the largest solvable problems and advocate for solutions to address them, leveraging the data, insights and relationships of our Breathe London project; as well as EDF's work on national clean air legislation and the Environment Bill. The Head of Policy & Campaigns will engage directly with elected officials, policymakers and other key stakeholders in a coordinated and strategic advocacy effort. S/he will also design and implement a campaign that leverages diverse tactics (e.g. social and traditional media, events and press conferences, strategic partnerships, grassroots and "grass tops" campaigning techniques, etc.) to build momentum and support for our solutions.
S/he reports in to the Vice President, Health Programme; collaborates across an internal multi-disciplinary team that includes scientists, analysts, a lawyer, and a communications specialist; and will directly supervise at least one research assistant.
Term of Role
This role is a 2-year Fixed Term Contract, with the potential for extension based on funding and policy opportunities.
- Work with Environmental Defense Fund's global team of program managers, attorneys, scientists and technical experts, as well as consultants, partners and allies to achieve clean air goals. Become fluent in the goals, objectives, strategies and tactics of EDF and our strategic partners.
- Collaborate with EDF staff to refine and complete a policy advocacy and campaign strategy that includes (1) building and fostering key relationships with relevant policymakers, other health and environmental charities, and other allies; (2) defining meaningful and achievable policy goals and objectives; (3) developing specific strategies to achieve our goals; and (4) executing those strategies.
- Communicate skillfully with government officials, elected officials and other policymakers and their staffs - at the city and national levels -- to advocate for our policy goals.
- Implement the campaign necessary to achieve our policy goals, deploying a variety of tactics and tools to build public support, political pressure, and momentum for change.
- Develop and maintain relationships with EDF development and communications staff, respond to their requests in a timely manner, and support new and existing fundraising and communication efforts.
- Serve as a campaign spokesperson and represent EDF and our partners at meetings, conferences, and events. Draft a variety of external communication materials, including blogs, articles, speeches, and social media posts, in close collaboration with EDF communications staff and leadership.
- Educated to Masters level or equivalent professional experience;
- Proven track record of professional experience;
- Sophisticated understanding of the policymaking process and a strong strategic sense for how to influence public policy;
- Substantial prior experience in policy and advocacy, such as by working in Parliament or the EU, a government department or city, or an advocacy organization;
- Prior experience working in environmental policy, especially climate and clean air initiatives, would be beneficial. Demonstrated commitment to environmental values;
- Ability to think clearly and creatively about technical, scientific and legal issues;
- Detail oriented, organized, a self-starter, able to adapt to frequent change and prioritize effectively under constant deadline pressure;
- Excellent strategic thinking skills and judgment;
- Strong writing and communications skills;
- Ability to follow guidance from and consult frequently with senior staff and colleagues;
- Ability to work with a diverse range of people and interests, both internally and externally. Tact and diplomacy are essential.