Sanitation/Private Sector Consultant
Global Communities is an international non-profit organization that works closely with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable.
Global Communities worked with a Ghanaian private sector plastics manufacturing company (Duraplast) to design a plastic latrine slab named DigniLoo that is affordable, easy to install, durable, easy to maintain, visually attractive and reusable. The DigniLoo is meant to be produced locally. The DigniLoo model has been a highly successful for Global Communities. Adding to Global Communities mission of impact, the DigniLoo addresses the sanitation needs of the poorest of the poor.
Global Communities seeks an experienced Private Sector Consultant. The purpose of this consultancy is to carry out an assessment in Liberia for replicating the Ghana Dini-Loo experience. The consultant will report to the Global Communities WASH Technical Director.
We anticipate that the length of the assignment will be 29 days including travel time to Ghana and Liberia and report writing.
Location of Assignment: Ghana and Liberia. Consultant home base is flexible
The Consultant will perform the following:
- Conduct desk research and review background materials on the Liberia WASH sector and Sanitation Markets (some background materials will be provided by Global Communities). This will include background reading on the DigniLoo experience in Ghana - including lessons learned to date.
- Participate in a kickoff/planning meeting with Global Communities (either in GC/HQ or through a virtual meeting).
- Travel to Ghana and work with the Global Communities Country Director to understand the Global Communities DigniLoo experience. This should include visiting Duraplast Ghana – our plastics manufacturing company partner.
- Travel to Liberia to carry out the assessment. While in Liberia, the consultant will be supported by the Global Communities WASH expert based in Monrovia who will facilitate meetings and introductions, provide background on the WASH sector in Liberia, etc. The consultant will carry out the following but is not limited to just these activities. This list will be further flushed out with input from the consultant after the background preparation and agreed on during the kickoff/planning meeting: meet with key stakeholders including Duraplast Liberia ( no relation to Duraplast Ghana) and other local plastic manufacturing companies as identified, and assess if they have the technical and financial capacity to produce DigniLoos locally (which may need to be adapted to Liberian specific needs and regulations)
- Existence of similar/competing products that are being marketed in Liberia for the rural market.
- Identify and document relevant regulations, restrictions, barriers and incentives that may exist in the country to introducing, manufacturing and selling the DigniLoo in the local market
- Assess the supply chain (from producer to consumer) for a rural sanitation market
- Explore the possibility of having any sort of tax incentives from the Government (e.g. VAT) and/or public financing to subsidize sales of the DigniLoo to make more affordable to the bottom 40% of the wealth quintile in rural areas.
- Quantify the market for the DigniLoo in rural areas under different enabling scenarios.
- What are the existing rural sanitation programs in the country? Who are they implemented by and who is funding?
- Describe the poverty status of rural populations that need basic sanitation and related willingness and ability to pay for sanitation products and services.
The Consultant will be responsible for delivering the following:
- A detail written report describing the rural sanitation market in Liberia and providing an assessment of each key component of the market value chain. The report should also suggest a plan moving forward to address the market constraints to replicate the DigniLoo experience from Ghana to Liberia.
- A separate trip report that describes the various meetings with stakeholders etc.
- A list of recommendations on the way forward to optimize the production and sales of the DigniLoo.
- A Final presentation (in PPT format) of the main results, findings, and recommendations.
- Proven experience in Business models especially as it relates to feasibility studies and startups for products.
- Business background with broad understanding and experience working with the private sector in developing countries.
- Knowledge and experience in the sanitation sector is desirable but not required.
- Knowledge on the Sanitation Marketing and Market Based approach is desired but not required.
- Experience working in West Africa is desirable but not required.
- Excellent critical thinking, analytical skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English.
- Ability to travel to Liberia and Ghana.