Team Leader / ICZM & Climate Change expert
DAI Europe is currently preparing for the forthcoming EU project “ TA to the GCCA+ Climate Resilient Coastal and Marine Zone Project for The Gambia ” which is expected to start in May 2020. DAI Europe is a leading development company with an extensive EU and with offices in Brussels and London. DAI Europe is part of DAI Global which is based in Washington DC.
The overall objective of the project of which this contract will be a part is as follows: ‘to increase climate resilience of the coastal and marine zones of The Gambia’.
The Consultant is expected to contribute to the achievement of the project results. In particular, the contribution of the Consultant will focus mainly on the following:
Component 1: Institutionalization of ICZM approach and related climate change adaptation (in selected regions)
Expected outcomes: (i) institutional capacity strengthened at selected regions, (ii) CC adaptation gap identified iii) increased awareness of ICZM and CC adaptation.
Component 2: Knowledge management through data collection and localizing climate change modelling.
Expected outcomes: a ) updated info available and guidelines for decision making (i.e. these guidelines refer to (i) climate change analysis for planning, (ii) Climate Change Impacts and Spatial Planning, (iii) Climate Change accounting for financial management of impacts.); b) able to generate localized, downscales CC models.
Component 3: Integration of climate change adaptation actions into ICZM.
Expected outcomes: i) ICZM/climate resilient plans implemented, CC vulnerability reduced; ii) productive activities in targeted areas maintained or improved.
We welcome applications for the position of Team Leader. The profile description can be found below:
Key expert 1: Senior Long Term Technical Assistance - Team Leader / ICZM & Climate Change expert
Duty Station: National Environment Agency (NEA), The Gambia
Duty Duration: minimum of 520 working days over an indicative period of 36 calendar months
Qualifications and skills
- Diploma in science or engineering plus a post-graduate degree in a field relevant to the assignment (such as environment / climate change/ coastal management / oceanography / marine science or related fields relevant to ICZM) or relevant professional experience of 10 years duration. (NB equivalent experience which must be above the general professional experience duration fixed below).
- An additional qualification in teaching / training Institutional and/or Organisational development will be an advantage.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- Skills to coordinate the Short Term TA activities of Components 1, 2 and 3 are desirable and will be an advantage.
- Excellent facilitation and professional training skills are desirable and will be an advantage.
General professional experience
- A minimum of 10 years professional experience in the area relevant to the assignment, including at least 6 years on ICZM / coastal management / coastal adaptation programmes/climate change integration.
Specific professional experience
- Proven experience of overall team management of experts; the ability to operate within multi-sectoral, multi-cultural teams with good communication skills and flexible working style will be an advantage.
- Must have at least 3 years' experience in programme management.
- Experience of work in developing countries is mandatory; experience in LDC’s in West Africa would be an asset.
- Understanding and experience of EU contractual and financial procedures would also be an asset.
Start Date: 01 May 2020
Length of the project: 36 months