International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, non-profit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, non-political, non-sectarian organization. Its mission is to improve quality of life through interventions that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. Since 1991, International Medical Corps has responded to the emergency needs of the Somali population through interventions in health, nutrition, WASH, and food security and livelihoods.
The Senior Water, Sanitation & Hygiene WASH Officer is responsible for running and supervising water, sanitation and hygiene programs at all stages of the project management cycle. He/she is also responsible for accomplishing the program objectives and outcomes within the contextual constraints. The Senior WASH Officer ensures the overall success of the program by making sure the WASH team completes the defined activities while adhering to internal standards and contractual obligations; participate in writing proposals and initiate and effectively manage and report on projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget.IMC’s policies, guidelines, and procedures
The consultant must:
• Actively promote Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) standards within IMC and amongst its beneficiaries.
• Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the Code of Conduct, ethics, values, and standpoint with regards to internal and external actors.
• Apply and focus on accountability to affected populations (AAP).
- Minimum of bachelor's degree in water and sanitation engineering, civil engineering, or relevant technical WASH specialization
- At least three years of work experience with designing and implementing water and sanitation systems in IDPs, refugee and migrant contexts, maintaining sanitation systems, and implementing hygiene promotion programs, including 2 years in a humanitarian setting; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability and good understanding of WASH sector and its hardware and software components
- Demonstrated analytical, motivational, communication, project conceptualization and planning skills;
- Experience in developing WASH strategy, clear and realistic activity planning; overseeing implementation, tracking the progress, reporting against the agreed indicators and managing project budget
- Overall management and supervision of the Community hygiene promoters/ supervisor assigned to various communities in Galkacyo South.
- Strategic water system development and promotion of durable solutions for water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion
- Ensure regular coordination with the local authority regarding water quality testing and analysis for the host and displaced communities in Galkacyo South.
- Ensure appropriate and regular water treatment/chlorination is undertaken at household level and sources (wells/boreholes) in the IDP settlements where IMC is responsible for WASH as per the project proposal.
- Work with the WASH Manager and M&E team to carry out regular assessments and support in drafting concept notes on the WASH needs in target communities.
- Work with the WASH Manager to ensure that water quality test results are in line with the standards and always shared with the state authorities and other wash implementing partners.
- Conduct continual review of the designs and functionality of the water supply systems (and other water points) to ensure efficient operation as well as reliability and safe water distribution.
- Work with WASH Manager to prepare, construction/rehabilitation contracts for WASH related works, and a system for monitoring the progress of works and performance of hired contractor.
- Developing a participatory community led approach for the management of WASH facilities
- Design contextually appropriate WASH related IEC materials for the Community hygiene promoters (CHPs)
- Plan, organize and facilitate trainings for the Community hygiene promoters as well as community volunteers
- Support the WASH Manager in hiring and training of the team to build up their capacity
- Work with the WASH Manager in the identification of WASH staff training needs and provision of practical on job trainings tailored to the identified needs
- Contribute to the positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organization’s Code of Conduct
- Ensure submission of weekly, monthly and inputs to the quarterly/donor progress reports to the WASH Manager and/or project management team in a timely manner
- Help other project sites WASH team in planning, implementation and monitoring of WASH activities.
Help in implementation & Coordination of IMC Somalia WASH Activities when WASH Program Manager is away on annual leave.
Code of Conduct
It is our shared responsibility and obligation to prevent matters involving Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Trafficking in Persons, Child Safeguarding and any suggested violation to our Code of Conduct, which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment. If you see, hear or are made aware of any suggested activities then you have an obligation to report.Safeguarding and Equal Opportunities“The tasks listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.It is our shared responsibility and obligation to prevent matters involving Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Trafficking in Persons, Child Safeguarding and any suggested violation to our Code of Conduct, which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment. If you see, hear or are made aware of any suggested activities then you have an obligation to report.International Medical Corps (if applicable you can specify UK) is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran”.
How to apply:
SOMALI NATIONAL CANDIDATES ONLY.
IMC Somalia is inviting qualified candidates who meet the above requirements to send a cover letter, CV and a copy of passport bio page or National ID to the following email address: email@example.com Please indicate the job title in the email subject line clearly. Deadline for applications: 23rd November 2019. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL CORPS is an equal opportunity employer.