Project Specialist (Office of the President)
1 in 9 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 3 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Project Specialist is primarily responsible for supporting and facilitating smooth coordination and communication across Water.org teams and upholding the professional reflection of the President, the Office of the President (OP), and the organization to internal and external contacts. S/he assists with cross-organizational integration through project coordination and overall support of OP initiatives; including the implementation and optimization of tools and processes to ensure organizational effectiveness and identify gaps, as well as advancing the information-dissemination to and connection across Water.org globally through support of key team communications and gatherings. S/he builds cross-organizational relationships to effectively coordinate with Water.org team members, deliver on deadlines, and provide efficient and effective support towards activities of the OP, leadership team, and the Board.
The Project Specialist, Office of the President is based in Kansas City, MO.
Organizational Communication (45%)
- Develop, edit, and/or format professional communications arising from various projects and topics disseminated by the OP to internal and external parties.
- Capture, review, distill, and disperse key information for the OP team; including internal successes, best practices, and insights from relevant external sources - media coverage, trends, communications, and publications relevant to OP initiatives and for use by the President and/or the Director, OP.
- With the Director, OP, develop annual plan for cross-organizational communication, knowledge-sharing, and inspiration.
- Collaborate with the Office of the CEO (OCEO), Human Resources (HR), and Marketing and Communications and serve as a point of cross-organizational communication to inform and inspire Water.org global staff and Board.
- Develop organizational calendar of key events and activities, establish and communicate processes for usage and updating, oversee calendar maintenance, and surface and resolve scheduling conflicts.
- Coordinate monthly staff meetings to engage and inform staff globally.
- Develop annual content calendar for meetings, coordinate with presenters, coordinate requisite materials, and facilitate meetings.
Project Management & Efficiency Enhancement (35%)
- Provide project management and communication support for organization-wide initiatives led and managed by the Director, OP.
- Identify any processes and process improvements that enhance the President, the Office of the President (OP), and the organization's ability to operate most effectively.
- Support planning and coordination of management convenings. Identify opportunities and organize leadership team building/team connection activities.
- Support cross-organizational knowledge sharing by serving as a resource for and disseminating critical information globally. This may also include assisting with cataloging, prioritizing, and helping others access organizational information.
- Participate in cross-team working groups and initiatives as assigned to support organization-level coordination and input.
- Develop and maintain the key tracking tools for the OP, update and communicate key priorities, and collaborate with the Executive Assistant, OP to ensure that time commitments reflect key priorities.
- Support development or enhancement of departmental and organizational processes and technology improvements to gain efficiencies in work.
Executive Level Project Support (15%)
- Provide communication and project management support for pilot projects lead by the President to enhance organizational resources, network, and/or fundraising opportunities.
- Coordinate with the Public Affairs team on thought leadership engagement opportunities and with Strategic Alliances on fundraising opportunities for the President. Communicate with external contacts as needed to coordinate engagements on behalf of the President.
- In collaboration with Marketing and Communications, support the development of professional, compelling communications and presentations used by the President with external audiences.
- Work in collaboration with organizational leaders and the OCEO to support development of pre-read documents, presentations, and annual sizzle reels for the Water.org Board of Directors.
- Serve as backstop for the Executive Assistant, OP as needed to ensure continuity of administrative support for the President and the Director, OP.
- This position is an individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer- centric solutions.
- Communicates Effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Interpersonal Savvy – Relating openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field of study required. Corporate communications or business preferred.
- Minimum 3 to 5 years experience in project management in a complex operating environment required, experience working in a global organization preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe software) required. Proficiency in Office 365 products (e.g. SharePoint, Teams, etc.) strongly preferred.
- Outstanding communication skills, both orally and in writing required. Demonstrated strength in a broad range of communications and supporting tools strongly preferred.
- Ability to coalesce disparate information and inputs into a concise path forward, including demonstrated success in translating knowledge and context into action and outcomes.
- Up to 5% domestic and global travel.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.