Local recruitment: Communications Specialist (Advocacy)
The Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council (WSSCC) was established in 1990 and mandated by name in United Nations General Assembly resolution A/RES/45/181.The WSSCC Secretariat is hosted by the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) and aims to accelerate the achievement of sustainable sanitation, hygiene and water services for all people, with special attention to the unserved poor, by enhancing collaboration and coordination of all sector stakeholders. The WSSCC Secretariat is located in Geneva, Switzerland. More information on WSSCC can be found on the website at www.wsscc.org.
With a population of 191 million people and despite a vibrant economy Nigeria faces the challenge of being the country with the second highest number of people defecating in the open behind India, with an estimated 47million people involved in the act. This act negatively impacts on the health of the populace, educational outcome, economy and productivity. The Federal Government of Nigeria through the Federal Ministry of Water Resources since 2015 has increasingly prioritised sanitation as a development issue and as part of efforts towards increasing access to safe sanitation in the country, it developed a roadmap for ending open defecation in collaboration with sector stakeholders. The implementation of the roadmap and the recently approved National Programme towards ending Open Defecation by 2025 tagged ‘Clean Nigeria: Use the Toilet’ Campaign is to be coordinated through the Clean Nigeria Campaign Secretariat.
The incumbent will be reporting to the Regional Manager West and Central Africa, WSSCC based in Geneva. Howverm one a day to day basis, the incumbent will be working under the guidance of the Coodinator of the Clean Nigeria Unit, in close consultation with WSSCC Regional Manager. The incumbent will develop and implement an advocacy and communication strategy for engaging all the relevant stakeholders towards implementing the roadmap for making Nigeria ODF by 2025.The incumbent will be work with the National Coordinator of the Clean Nigeria Campaign Secretariat.
The Communications Specialist - Advocacy will work closely with staff of the Clean Nigeria Campaign Secretariat based in Abuja to:
- Lead the development and the implementation of an advocacy strategy for the sanitation sector in Nigeria and the ODF 2025 roadmap and implementation of the same.
- Manage all advocacy efforts aimed at effective implementation of the ODF 2025 roadmap in close collaboration with all the critical stakeholders within the sanitation sector in Nigeria.
- Consult with and work closely with WSSCC National Coordinator and WSS Wash Ambassador in the implementation of Advocacy and Communication related activities of the WSSCC Country Engagement Plan (CEP) for Nigeria.
- Liaise with WSSCC sub-unit in Abuja, and Geneva based units: Regional, Global Advocacy and Communication units, to coordinate advocacy and communication actions, campaigns and activities to support the Clean Nigeria Road Map.
- Take the lead if drafting concept notes, reports, case studies and learning notes for presentation during national meetings, events and forums;
- Contribute to and facilitates the production and dissemination of communication products, notes, articles and materials, including through social media.
- Liaise with the communication officers of partners as well as with the media and journalist to ensure an effective communication around the Clean Nigeria Campaign.
The Communications Specialist - Advocacy will assist the Clean Nigeria Campaign Secretariat to achieve the following overall objectives:
- Create a map of partners in the areas of each objective of the advocacy and communication plan
- Engage partners in line with the advocacy and communication objectives and influence key stakeholders
- Ensure there is continuous flow of advocacy events, meetings, and initiatives
- ensures there is a continuous flow in the production of communication materials and products, and its consistent dissemination to the public and to key partners through various media and channels.
- Organize events, facilitates meetings and campaigns to ensure that the advocacy and communication plan is delivered in an efficient manner
- Enhance the presence and visibility of the Clean Nigeria Campaign at national and subnational levels
Undertake any other work that is requested for the Clean Nigeria Campaign during the duration of the contract and which the management team deem that the officer has the skills to support and/or contribute to for the further development of the campaign and the improvement of the sanitation sector in Nigeria.
- Master’s degree in Political Science, Social Science, Public Relations, Advertising, Communications or other relevant fields.
- A bachelor's degree with a combination of 2 additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the master's degree.
- At least 5 years of solid hands-on experience in public relations, advertising, communication or advocacy activities in a dynamic and responsive environment of government agencies, donors, multiple and high-profile stakeholders.
- Proven commitment to excellence and successful track record of managing the quality and content of advocacy, communication and visibility activities.
- Experience or good familiarity with the WASH, Health, Gender or Human Right sectors in Nigeria is an asset/desirable.
- Experience working with a wide range of stakeholders, including national and local government, civil society, the UN, the private sector, community organizations, and donors.Extensive and successful experience in managing representation and PR for important national or international events is an asset/desirable.
- Superior diplomacy and relationship building skills with an ability to liaise, prioritize, negotiate, and work with a prolific variety of cross-cultural and high-profile stakeholders is an asset/desirable.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of any of the major Nigeria languages: Hausa, Ibo or Yoruba: reading, written and spoken is an asset/desirable.