WASH Deputy Programme Manager (Implementation)
General Description of the Programme:
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2012, responding to the acute needs of conflict affected communities. GOAL is working in Idlib and Aleppo Governates, in close coordination with local partners, delivering food, non-food and cash voucher programming to highly vulnerable populations, and has expanded programme sectors to include the provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) to those most in need.
The Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programme’s main priority is the rehabilitation, operation and maintenance of drinking water networks and water pumping stations. GOAL is supporting four water utilities (Water Units) across Idlib to provide drinking water across 150 towns and villages to 817,399 people. Most of the rehabilitation is completed, and 817,399 people are receiving the drinking water on a regular basis. GOAL’s focus is now shifting towards increasing the sustainability of the water networks by setting up a cost recovery system, thus reducing the Water Units reliance on GOAL for support.
To ensure that the provision of potable water has maximum health benefits GOAL also works to improve the hygiene and sanitation conditions in the areas that are reached with water. This is achieved through the installation of WASH facilities in IDP collective centres, implementation of solid waste management activities and promotion of good hygiene practices.
GOAL is part of a group of WASH actors in Northern Syria that work together to ensure that all projects are delivered with maximum impact. The GOAL WASH team takes an active part in the WASH networks and pumping stations to ensure that the sector response is the most effective and overlaps are avoided.
The WASH (DPM) – implementation will be based in GOAL’s office in Harem, Syria, reporting to the WASH PM based in Harem, Syria. S/he will line manage the Syria-based GOAL WASH site engineers, working in close coordination with Water Units and Local Councils.
The WASH DPM – implementation is responsible for supporting the WASH PM in the planning, implementation and reporting of GOAL’s WASH activities in Northern Syria. S/he will be the technical lead in the rehabilitation, operation and maintenance of water networks and pumping stations. S/he will also assist in the establishment of a cost recovery system. The DPM – implementation will support coordination, planning, monitoring and management of WASH programme activities. This will involve working closely with partners and stakeholders (in particular, Water Units and Local councils) to ensure timely and effective monitoring and evaluation of WASH activities and impact.
The WASH DPM – implementation will be responsible for communicating day-to-day programme implementation and reporting activities through the designated reporting structure as defined by the WASH PM/Co.
Duties, objectives and competencies
- Assist the day-to-day Implementation of activity plans as defined by the WASH PM;
- Translation of technical reports and data generated by the WASH team, ensuring effective communication within the WASH team between Syria/Turkey;
- Travel frequently to program locations to directly monitor WASH program activities, ensuring clear feedback is provided to field staff and / or partners on necessary changes or improvements required to ensure project activities meet stated objectives and deliver maximum benefit to targeted beneficiaries;
- Produce WASH programs performance reports in terms of outputs against activity plans and take all-necessary action, in association with the WASH PM, to ensure the program achieves its objectives within the allotted time and budget and to quality;
- Assist the WASH PM supporting project partners to ensure project objectives and activity plans are clearly understood and adhered to, and that agreed roles and responsibilities are met by GOAL and partners;
- Assist in program implementation analysis to improve the quality of services provided through analysis and dissemination of M&E data and lessons learnt;
- Assist the WASH PM, Logistics department and the Finance team to ensure continuous oversight and involvement at all stage of the program cycle;
- Lead the program's procurement and liaise with the procurement department in Harim and Antakya to ensure that there are no delays in procuring and delivering WASH program needs;
- Liaise with the M&E team on implementation of appropriate M&E and program management tools and systems as well as community feedback mechanisms;
- Contribute to the design of WASH projects; ensuring these are informed by an accurate understanding of priority needs and gaps in GOALs areas of operation;
- Other related tasks at the request of the WASH PM.
- Degree level qualification in engineering related to water sector or other related discipline.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in related field.
- Previous experience working with public water and sanitation authorities a distinct advantage.
- Excellent understanding of drinking water systems (stations, networks).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience of programme implementation.
- Experience of staff management and capacity development.
- Flexible and creative approach with a proven ability to resolve issues and identify solutions.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise work under pressure.
- Commitment to beneficiary accountability and humanitarian principles.
- High level of attention to details.
- Proven ability to build the capacity of partner/ local organisations an advantage.
- Understanding of water and sanitation provision in the Syrian context.
· Previous experience dealing with (Procurement, Logistic …).
· High level of computer skills especially Excel.
- Knowledge of GOAL’s target areas in northern Idlib.
- Fluency in Arabic and English language skills (spoken and written).
- Very good knowledge of water system equipment and materials (pumps, generators, networks pipelines and accessories, etc.).
- High level of engineering designing programs (AutoCAD, Water CAD, GIS, etc.).
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offers made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
Deadline to Apply: 11th November 2019.