SEI Asia, based in Bangkok, has a diverse team of multinational experts that integrates scientific research with participatory approaches to co-develop and share knowledge, build partnerships, and influence policy for resilient development. It focuses on gender and social equity, climate adaptation, reducing disaster risk, water insecurity and integrated water resources management, transitional agriculture, energy futures and city health and well-being. SEI Asia is an affiliate of Chulalongkorn University, Thailand.
SEI Asia is seeking an experienced and highly motivated Communications Officer with a proven background in writing, journalism and communications to build the profile of SEI Asia and develop and implement our communications strategy. It’s important that this person has demonstrated skills to produce high-quality written outputs in different formats and for a range of audiences.
The SEI Asia Communications Officer works closely with SEI Asia’s researchers to identify key audiences for their work and formulate key messages from the research and activities targeted to those audiences.
The Communications Officer will report directly to the Communications Coordinator under the overall supervision of SEI Asia’s Centre Director.
Communications planning and outputs
- Produce consistently good, high-quality writing focusing on SEI Asia’s research for SEI website (and other media outlets where relevant)
- Write, edit, proof-read and produce a range of materials (blog posts, photo stories, flyers, fact sheets, posters, flyers, and brochures)
- Actively respond to researchers’ needs to develop articles for the SEI website based on SEI Asia’s research activities, publications, research findings and events
- Plan communications for the Strategic Collaborative Fund Phase 2 programme and produce outputs for their events, newsletter, and social media (Twitter and Facebook)
- Work in close collaboration with SEI’s global communications team to deliver publications outputs for the research clusters and projects in Asia
- Proactively engage as part of the communications team with SEI Asia researchers on SEI Asia’s strategy (and communications strategy) 2020-2022
Event support and outreach
- Together with the relevant project leads and the centre communications team, enable SEI’s strategic presence at key events in the region and elsewhere; in particular, events to enhance visibility of the Centre Director
- Support coordination of relevant publication and information materials for sharing at events and for outreach
- Compile and organize centre publicity materials including “Centre corporate” PowerPoint presentations and ensure these are available whenever needed
SEI Asia visibility and social media outreach
- Plan and support a coordinated social media strategy to provide regular updates about centre and project activities to make SEI Asia visible on Twitter, Facebook, and other outreach channels targeted at well-defined audiences
- Work with the Communications Coordinator to pitch stories to media
- Write blogs and op-eds for external media
- Support the Centre Director in managing his public profile in the region and online by advising on meetings and events attended, and supporting with information materials and social media
SEI’s global communications team
- When needed, attend meetings with SEI global communications team and SEI communications in Stockholm
- Attend monthly global communications meetings
Who you are
We are looking for a dynamic communications professional with experience in journalism, communications and writing for diverse audiences. Previous work experience on environmental writing in South/Southeast Asia is useful. A portfolio showing writing ability in different formats is necessary.
The successful candidate should have the proven ability to develop plans for reaching and communicating with key audiences, and be comfortable developing content across a wide range of channels (digital, printed materials, events and media). The successful candidate should be comfortable working with diverse teams and willing to travel as needed.
- A Master’s degree in the field of communications, social sciences communications, public relations or related disciplines
- Familiarity or working knowledge of environmental issues in the region
- Demonstrated and proven English language writing or journalistic writing skills for producing web news stories, publicity materials, and social media posts (Twitter, Facebook) with a portfolio of writing in different formats
- Strong ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated planning and communication skills for events and display booths
- Familiarity with social media and communication technologies required
- Capacity to prioritize and manage a diverse range of tasks and activities
- Able to work well both independently and within a variety of teams, contexts and cultures
- Fluent in English (speaking, writing, and reading)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Basic familiarity with multimedia or design software (Adobe InDesign, FinalCut Pro, etc.) is an advantage.
How to apply
Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. Please submit your application as soon as possible, and no later than 11 November 2019. We only accept applications through our recruitment system. Please apply online using the button below and include:
- curriculum vitae or resume
- cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience