The Norwegian Red Cross is part of the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network with millions of volunteers and staff operating in 190 countries. Our mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. To achieve this, we follow the seven humanitarian principles; Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary service, Unity and Universality
The ability of National Society partners to respond adequately to needs of the affected population is an important strategic priority for NorCross. Our strategic objective in Syria is to reduce the vulnerability of local communities and prevent loss of life. We support SARC interventions in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), relief and humanitarian aid operations and organisational development. NorCross is one of the largest Movement contributors in Syria and we have been a partner to SARC since 2013.
NorCross two main objectives in Syria are to:
- improve access to safe water and sound hygiene conditions and meet the basic needs of people affected by the crisis.
- Strengthen the host National Societys financial management to conform with international standards
Missions specific responsibilities:
- Ensures, together with the Host National Society, that WASH activities supported by NorCross are of high quality and meet humanitarian needs
- Strengthening NorCross’ guidelines and tools to select and consistently support the implementation of water infrastructural projects in view of changes in the context.
- Supports the Host National Society procurement and contracting processes for water infrastructure projects, supporting the systematization of procurement processes in terms of planning, implementation and evaluation, seeking compliance with NorCross requirements and standards, contributing to the quality and cost-effectiveness of water infrastructure projects
- Supports the Host National Society in developing and implementing a standardized hygiene promotion (HP) methodology and establishment of monitoring tools to measure the impact of HP activities at community level in close coordination with regional WASH delegate
Main strategic responsibilities:
- Ensures that WASH projects are designed and implemented in line with established technical standards and project management methodologies.
- Coach Host National Society project teams in thematic frameworks and relevant technical standards and support the operationalization of those standards.
- Contributes to NorCross global efforts to establish and operationalize technical standards.
Main operational responsibilities:
- Conducts technical assessments and scoping missions.
- Ensures the humanitarian relevance and quality of the projects that NorCross supports and that of technical assistance provided.
- Strengthens NorCross’ project guidelines and tools to select and consistently support the implementation of water infrastructural projects.
- Carries out regular field monitoring, provides recommendations and assistance on project improvements and follows up on their implementation
- Oversees data collection and provides technical support to reports in collaboration with regional results based management coordinator
- Organizes technical mid-term reviews and contributes to terms of reference and inception reports to final evaluations.
- Provides trainings and coaches Host National Society project staff on the operationalization of established technical standards.
- Supports the Host National Society procurement and contracting processes, including systematization of procurement processes and compliance with NorCross requirements
- Provides surge support to other countries and regions, as relevant and upon the request, and contributes to harmonization across regions and countries.
- Works closely with the relevant thematic Coordinator / Advisor at the National Office (HQ) and Regional Office (RO).
We seek a person who;
- quickly understands and analyses complex challenges and comes up with sound and rational solutions
- is a self-starter, makes things happen and is result oriented
- builds a useful network of contacts and relationship and utilizes it to achieve objectives
- demonstrates specialist knowledge and expertise in own area and participates in continuous development
- uses a methodical and systematic approach; make plans, define clear priorities and allocate resources effectively
- communicates in a clear, precise and structured way; speaks with authority and conviction; presents effectively
- Higher University Degree in relevant technical discipline including civil engineering, water and sanitation engineering or environmental health engineering. Equivalent technical experience can substitute for qualifications but not vice versa.
- Managing projects, including conducting needs assessment, project design and reporting.
- building technical capacities of partner organizations.
- applying standards and operationalising those standards in humanitarian projects.
- using innovative tools and approaches in relevant technical discipline
- English work proficiency is required; Arabic is a strong asset.
- International driving licence (manual gear) is required.
Country Programme Manager, based in Damascus, Syria
Position is based in:
18 months’ contract, possible with extension
Why should you apply?
- Meaningful: Youll be a part of the world's largest humanitarian organization, reaching the most vulnerable people in their local community.
- Impact: You will help National Societies in the region to become strong, self-sustained and accountable humanitarian actors.
- Career: You will be connected to an international organization with staff based all over the world
- A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins.
Norwegian Red Cross striving to build a working culture based on respect, honesty and generosity.
We do a thorough background check on relevant candidate.
How to apply: