Global Campaigns & Advocacy Director
Are you an exceptional, ambitious leader excited about playing a vital role in achieving change to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone everywhere?
Join WaterAid as Global Campaigns and Advocacy Director. We are looking for an exceptional leader, with sound political judgment and a proven track record of delivering successful global campaigns to lead WaterAid's influencing work.
Achieving universal, sustainable access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene will require a major mobilisation of resources, public pressure and political will. Reporting to the Global Director of Policy & Campaigns, you will play a pivotal role working with allies and partners to progress this agenda, delivering improvements in the lives of millions of the world's poorest people.
This is a full- time permanent role. Based in London, but other locations could be considered. Frequent travel overseas is required.
Some of the accountabilities include:
* Setting a clear vision and direction for WaterAid's global campaigns and advocacy;
* Leading the design and implementation of global advocacy and campaigns strategies;
* Strategic positioning of the organisation in global coalitions;
* Robust communication skills and experience of representing organisations at high-level;
* Strong leadership and management.
To be successful, you'll need:
- A proven track record of leading successful global campaigning and advocacy initiatives, including through lobbying, mobilising constituencies, working with diverse partners and using the media, at international and developing country level;
- A thorough and demonstrable understanding of multilateral political institutions and processes (e.g. UN, AU, EU, World Bank);
- A keen political 'savviness' and a solid understanding of how to achieve ambitious political change, with a demonstrated track record of using both insider and outsider approaches;
- A strategic, innovative and creative thinker with the ability to deliver tangible results, and work collaboratively with colleagues across functions and geographies;
- A resilient leader, who embraces complexity and uncertainty.
Please click the 'Apply', to see the full job pack.
WaterAid benefits include:
- 36 days holiday (including Bank Holidays)
- Option to buy an extra 5 days annual leave
- We offer a generous pension plan with employer contribution of up to 10%
- Flexible working conditions, including the opportunity for part-time work and home working up to 2 days a week
- Season Ticket Loan Free
- Annual eye tests
- Pay as You Give charitable giving scheme
- Enhanced Maternity and Adoption/Surrogacy pay,Shared Parental Leave and Paternity Leave.
- Volunteer Day
WaterAid is currently located at Durham Street, Vauxhall. However, we will be leaving our current location in the summer of 2020 (likely to be June/July 2020) and moving to 20 Canada Square, Canary Wharf. Therefore the London Office location and contract base, if you are successfully offered the role, will change. This will be discussed at the interview stage with you.
Sponsoring visa for this role can be discussed on the individual basis. If you are successful for this role and need visa sponsoring, this will be discussed with you at the interview stage.
Please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter into one document in either Word Document or PDF format.
Applications will close one minute before midnight on 10 November 2019. Availability for first interview is required w/c 25 November, second interview w/c 9 December and informal chat with the CEO w/c 16 December 2019.
Salary: Competitive with excellent benefits
WaterAid is fully committed to protecting those with whom it comes into contact in WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct. We will conduct the most appropriate preemployment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities, disability-confident employer and committed to achieving the highest standards of diversity, fairness and equality. Should you have a disability and require any additional support, please contact us at