Water Economist/Impact Assessment Specialist
FAO works to promote coherent approaches to sustainable land and water management and the Organization’s engagement in land and water is relevant to several dimensions of sustainable development, such as the governance and management of food production systems; the provision of essential ecosystem services; food security; human health; biodiversity conservation; and the mitigation of, and adaptation to, climate change.
In line with such efforts, the Land and Water Division CBL) aims at enhancing the agricultural productivity and advancing the sustainable use of land and water resources through their improved tenure, management, development and conservation. It addresses the challenges member countries face in ensuring productive and efficient use of land and water resources in order to meet present and future demands for agricultural products, while ensuring the long-term sustainability of the land and water quantity and quality.
The purpose of this call is to provide FAO’s CBL Division and the Water Resources Governance/Management Team with a list of qualified candidates for a specific profile to support the division’s projects portfolio in:
- Economics of agricultural water
- Assessment of water for irrigation use
- Project monitoring and impact evaluation
Contracts will be based in FAO HQs with required travel for field missions, where relevant.
The Consultant reports to the Senior Land and Water Officer-Water Governance/ Management Team Leader, Land and Water Division (CBL), under the overall supervision of the CBL Director and Deputy Director.
- Supporting the economic analysis of agricultural water to assess the efficiency and productivity of irrigation systems in developing countries and monitoring projects’ development and evaluating their impacts.
- Sustaining the effective management and governance of irrigation schemes development as part of the projects’ activities carried out by the Water Resources Governance/Management Team.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Support the assessment of economic performance of irrigation and drainage systems
- Apply dedicated tools/methodologies to monitor and evaluate impacts of irrigation and drainage projects
- Assist in the economic appraisal of irrigation and drainage development programmes and project proposals
- Examine relevant investment proposals prepared in response to requests from governments/partners, and advise on modifications needed
- Carry out cost-benefit analysis of irrigation and drainage improvement projects and advice on the global return of investment in these projects
- Contribute to the dissemination of information on irrigation and drainage development and management to key stakeholders through the preparation of divisional publications, meetings, workshops, seminars and training courses and by engaging with existing regional and national relevant networks
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in (for consultants) / university degree (only for PSA) in economics (agriculture), agro-economics, water resources management, environmental sciences or equivalent
- At least 1 year (level C) and five years (level B) of relevant experience in water resources economics and/or management.
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian (for Consultants)/ Working knowledge of English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese or Russian (for PSAs)
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience in irrigation water management/M&E/Impact assessment (Water for agriculture)
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results within deadlines
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Extent and relevance of experience in the production of content for external audiences (UN agencies, stakeholders and other public and private partners), especially in areas relevant to FAO’s mandate
- Understanding of FAO policies and programmes and familiarity with UN policy agendas
- Extent and relevance of experience in the formulation and implementation of projects related to sustainable water resource management
- Extent and relevance of experience in the preparation of technical and policy reports and capacity development materials.
FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
Candidates should upload language certificate/s when submitting their application.
For more information, visit the FAO employment website
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline
If you need help please contact: