Postdoctoral Fellow (River Corridor Modeler)
Berkeley Lab’s Earth and Environmental Sciences Area (EESA) has an opening for a Postdoctoral Fellow to focus on reactive transport modeling at the watershed scale.
In this role, you will quantify bi-directional exchange pathways and biogeochemical processes across river corridor subsystems (i.e. hyporheic zones, off-channel wetlands, and floodplains). These subsystems are identifiable as unique systems that allow bi-directional exchange between river channels and nearby sediments. Additionally, you will develop scaling constructs to estimate geochemical exports from these unique subsystems and estimate individual impacts on river water quality across scales.
EESA is advancing and integrating diverse expertise to accelerate scientific discoveries and their translation into scalable solutions that simultaneously sustain the Earth’s environment and the growing need for energy and water resources.
What You Will Do:
- Develop and apply hydrological and reactive transport models to enhance process understanding at the large scale.
- Aggregate and integrate diverse data into numerical models to identify the underlying processes.
- Collaborate with experimental hydrologists and geochemists to improve predictive capabilities for hydro-biogeochemical processes.
- Develop uncertainty quantification tools and upscaling algorithms.
- Perform data-model integration and analysis with the use of high-performance computing.
- Identify and develop new research areas and proposals.
- Engage as a member of a large, multidisciplinary research team that includes geochemists, hydrologists, and computational scientists.
- Author peer-reviewed journal articles and technical reports.
What is Required:
- Ph.D. in Civil or Environmental Engineering, Geochemistry, Hydrology, or equivalent discipline.
- Substantial knowledge and experience in modeling microbially-mediated biogeochemical reaction networks coupled to flow and transport.
- Substantial knowledge and experience in high-performance computing including parallel simulation and large dataset analysis and manipulation.
- Ability to identify and develop new research areas and proposals.
- Ability to collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of scientists.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and a proven track record of publishing in high-impact journals.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled, however, for full consideration, please submit all application materials by October 18, 2019.
- This is a full time, M-F, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid), 1 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
- This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
- Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab- Click Here.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.