Research Associate (SDGs)
We are seeking a highly motivated Research Associate with a proven background in coordinating research and programmes pertaining to the Sustainable Development Goals. You will contribute to SEI’s work on environmental sustainability, social inclusion, collaborative partnerships and other related topics.
SEI Asia is seeking a Research Associate to join our growing centre that has a background in SDG research, along with synthesis of relevant programmes and policy impact.
Through its programmes and research projects, SEI seeks to share knowledge; promote collaborative partnerships; build capacity; and contribute to evidence-based policy making for more sustainable, resilient and inclusive development. We achieve this through clear guidance, useful tools, and insights to catalyze and leverage SDG aligned investments – working towards accelerating SDG achievement.
Our research and programmes are carried out collaboratively by building and strengthening engagement with stakeholders ranging from local and national governments to multi-lateral agencies, NGOs, the private sector and local community organizations.
The Research Associate will report directly to the assigned Line Manager (Policy Cluster Lead) and SDG-related research project leaders, under overall supervision from the Centre Director.
- Coordinate with research teams in SEI Asia and other SEI centres to synthesize ongoing programme and research outcomes towards the SDGs; and participate in developing new research projects and ensure aligned thinking and planning on SEI Asia SDG interactions, both internally and with our partners. This will include the application of monitoring and evaluation techniques and impact assessment methods including desk reviews, qualitative and quantitative approaches, and analyses and interpretation of programmes, research results; as well as analyses of implications for policies and practice
- Work as part of the SEI policy unit on how to best drive SDG delivery from research – within SEI globally and from our partners – to a wider audience of key decision-makers
- Participate in writing and disseminating SEI’s integrated work on the SDGs through peer-reviewed publications and other research outputs such as project reports, policy briefings, conference presentations and digital publications
- Promote SEI’s innovative tools and methods to partners and wider stakeholders to enhance the capacity of governments and other actors to adopt SDG-related systems and decision-making
- Develop and disseminate a diverse suite of communications products such as features, blog posts, photo stories, infographics, and other printed and digital products in conjunction with the communications team
- Identify potential future areas of work through new opportunities for research and outreach and support mobilization of funds for the SEI Asia, including donor outreach and analysis
- Represent SEI at external events and network with relevant institutions and organizations
- Manage administrative, reporting, and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning tasks related to programmes and research projects
The Research Associate will work in the policy unit to develop cross-cutting SEI impacts on SDG achievement through collaboration with SEI Asia’s research and programme teams, including in the research themes of climate change adaptation, water resources, agriculture, gender, city health and well-being and disaster risk reduction.
The Research Associate will also work with project partners on the application of SDG tools and SDG-related research.
The role will require collaboration with other SEI centres and SEI Headquarters. The associate will contribute to a wide range of programmes and research projects in addition to other SEI-wide activities and communications.
Who you are
We seek a professional with a strong interest and proven track record in impact management and monitoring and evaluation of SDG-related programmes or research projects. You have excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) and the ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with a variety of actors.
Required skills and qualifications
- Master’s degree in a relevant subject such as international development, social science or business management
- Minimum of five years of professional experience in the areas of environment and/or international development, with a focus on linking the SDGs to policy impact as a researcher and/or practitioner in topics such as sustainable development, public-private partnerships and social inclusion
- Demonstrated ability to work with various stakeholders
- Analytical skills and the ability to quickly grasp and synthesize research results, programme outcomes and evidence-based conclusions from a range of technical and non-technical sources
- Ability to communicate to a diverse audience through high-quality written outputs and communication products
- Openness to working in a diverse international team
- Ability to prioritize and manage assignments in a timely manner and produce results in a dynamic environment
- Ability to provide tailored support to boundary partners and reach out to potential partners
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally as programmes or projects require
- Fluency in an Asian language is desirable
- Experience working in Asian countries is highly desirable
- Experience related to programme management, monitoring and evaluation, private sector partnership in addition to SDG impact management, is a strong advantage
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Please submit your application as soon as possible, and no later than 16 October 2019, 23:59 ICT. Applications are only accepted through our online recruitment system Please click the button below to apply and include:
- A curriculum vitae or resume
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience