Graduate Hydraulic Modeller
Jacobs leads the global professional services sector delivering solutions for a more connected, sustainable world. Providing a full spectrum of services including scientific, technical, professional and construction- and program-management. Our 50,000+ employees in 400+ locations around the world serve a broad range of companies and organisations, including industrial, commercial, and government clients across multiple markets and geographies.
During our 125 years in the UK, we have been involved in some of the biggest and most challenging projects, delivering innovative and sustainable solutions to the country’s most critical issues, from access to clean air and safe water, civil and national security and safeguarding mobility.
That’s because Jacobs is much more than just a traditional engineering company.
Ranked No. 1 by Fortune’s 2019 World's Most Admired Companies…
Within the UK Water Environment Team in Manchester we are looking for an assistant hydraulic modeller to work on projects involving river, coastal and surface water modelling for flood mapping studies, surface water management plans, flood strategies and other flood management projects.
The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
You will be working on projects for the Environment Agency, Local Authorities and some private sector clients. Responsibilities include:
- Providing assistance to Technical Lead on projects involving modelling including flood mapping studies, surface water management plans, flood strategies and other flood management projects.
- Actively participate in the development of hydraulic models under the supervision of a senior modeller using modelling software
- Process and analyse modelling outputs using GIS software (QGIS, MapInfo and/or ArcGIS)
- Writing technical reports
- Relevant degree in Civil Engineering or water resources
- Good academic knowledge in hydraulics, hydrology and/or water resources
- Good analytical skills
- First experience in using GIS software such as Mapinfo/ArcGIS
- Good report writing and presentation skills
- First experience in implementing 1D and 2D modelling techniques for river, urban and coastal flooding applications.
- First experience in using modelling software: Flood Modeller, TUFLOW and Infoworks ICM
Closing date: 15th October 2019
Expected start date: December 2019
If interested, please submit your CV and Cover Letter when applying.
Applicants require the right to live and work in the UK without visa and sponsorship requirements. This position does not cover relocation allowance.
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go ‘BeyondZero’ by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as STEM, WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and Stonewall. We are also Disability Confident Committed; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
We encourage applications from candidates looking for flexible working or reduced hours’ contracts. Please also bear in mind that you do not need to meet 100% of the Essential Criteria to be considered for a position with Jacobs.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values.
To find out more about our networks, please visit our website; www.jacobs.com/about/inclusion-and-diversity
Start your journey with Jacobs
As part of our Graduate Development Programme (GDP), our graduates enjoy completing a series of well-designed competencies which have been approved by senior leaders to help you on your way to achieving chartership status as well as enhancing your technical expertise and developing your business acumen.
Our additional benefits include:
• Permanent role with up to 32 days paid annual leave
• Flexible benefits including, Flexible hours, contributory pension scheme
• Residential 'Graduate offsite' weekend in the Lake District
• 360 support from line manager, buddies, mentor, Learning and Talent management and a wide graduate network or past and new cohort
Join Jacobs now and keep growing …
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.