Utility Technical Advisor, Nigeria Effective Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Services (E-WASH)
RTI is seeking a Utility Technical Advisor for the Nigeria E-WASH project to provide leadership to activities related to the engineering aspects of the program. The objective of Nigeria E-WASH is to improve the availability of clean water and sanitation in Nigeria’s poorest urban neighborhoods. The Utility Technical Advisor will be based in the E-WASH Abuja office with regular travel to the state offices and SWB locations , and will report to the Chief of Party.
- Lead the design of interventions in the six State Water Boards (SWBs) in the following areas:
- Increasing of production of water from the raw water -intake up to the treatment plants
- Review the capacities of the treatment plants and determine interventions that may be required to increase actual capacity of the plants
- Support the analysis of the treatment processes and advise
- Lead interventions in water quality laboratory assessments and advise appropriate measures to make the SWBs compliant of the national drinking water standards
- Development and support implementation of Non Revenue Water control strategies
- Serve as a resource for state-based utility technical specialists to coordinate all interventions including water production, treatment, transmission and distribution.
- Coordinate the development of any feasibility studies
- Provide leadership in other specific technical interventions including guidance in water quality compliance, development and implementation of NRW control strategies
- Develop Asset Maintenance Management (AMM) Systems
- Design and Operationalize a Utility Support Fund for Emergency Repairs and Small-Scale Improvements to Increase Operational Efficiency
- Design strategy for increasing house connections, development of connection policies
- Assist in the preparation of technical reports, scheduling and leading meetings, advising, and drafting operating manuals.
- Develop training programs to implement policies and programs and train technical staff and other SWB personnel on policies, procedures, and compliance issues.
- Identify operational constraints and develop capital investment programs
- Explore options for private sector participation
Required Skills and Qualifications:
Education and Experience
- At least a master’s degree in civil, Mechanical or electrical engineering or related field
- At least 10 years post qualification experience in utility operations – water supply, design of water systems.
- At least 5 years of senior management experience
- Experience in a USAID or other development partner programs is an added advantage
- Excellent writing and communication skills
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience in collaborating across projects stakeholder groups and donor projects.
- Possess excellent organizational, analytical, oral and written communications skills in English; demonstrated supervisory skills; and ability to work well on a team.