Program Manager (WASH)
Desired start date: 15/11/2019
Duration of the mission: 6 months renewable
SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL (SI) opened its mission in Bangladesh at the end of 2007, following cyclone SIDR.
SI’s intervention and strategy in Bangladesh is to address primary needs of crisis affected people in terms of food security, livelihood, disaster risk reduction (DRR), water, hygiene and sanitation (WASH) and shelter, by making use of an integrated disaster risk reduction approach and by taking into account the effects of climate change, whilst working in parallel on mid-long term resilience strategies.
SI supports displaced people and affected communities immediately after a disaster through the distribution of various kits, cash for work, emergency access to safe drinking water) and in the early recovery phase by livelihood activities, reconstruction of dwellings, etc. SI’s programs build the communities resilience towards future hazard events, this includes how to evacuate people and possessions as soon as possible, how to protect villages and fields by building small-scale infrastructures (dykes, causeways), and how to incorporate adaptive coping strategies for farmers by establishing agricultural practices and livelihoods that are less vulnerable to natural disasters. Furthermore, SI’s 2019 strategy has three pronged approach focusing on:
- Strengthening Communities through Resilience and Basic Services;
- Strengthening Communities ability to Access Resources;
- Reducing Marginalization through Inclusive Programming;
About the job
The WASH Program Manager is responsible of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene activities in his/her dedicated camps according to the projects proposals.
(S)he is responsible for overseeing operational teams assigned to the program.
(S)he guarantees the good performance and the quality of the WASH program implemented, and, where appropriate, proposes adjustments or developments to ensure relevance.
- Diagnosis and project design
- Implementation and operational monitoring
- Reporting / communications / representation
POSITION OF THE POST IN THE ORGANIZATIONAL CHART (hierarchical and functional relationships)
Under the hierarchical authority of: Program Deputy Field coordinator;
Hierarchical authority over: Activity managers
Under the functional authority of: WASH coordinator
Functional authority over: Lab Supervisor
Main challenges for the position
Specific stakes and challenges:
- Large size of operations with emergency projects having tight implementation timeframes, requiring good decision-making capacities and capacity to work under pressure
- Wide range of donors grants requiring good attention to details and organization capacities as well as good reporting skills/management.
- Methodologies/innovation to develop while implementing huge workload of activities.
- Complex context challenges
Priorities for the 2/3 first months
- proposal writing and tools/methodology development for field assessment.
- Implementation and operational monitoring focus on specific complex activities with high strategical or result impact.
- Information Management strengthen and capitalization on strategy lesson learnt
- Empower senior program position and tailor HR setup to context evolution for a better performance and tasks division.
- Reporting tasks and focus on relation/communication with external stakeholders in the area of intervention
Education: Post graduate level in WASH sectors or similar.
- Minimum of 2 years of international experience in a humanitarian or development NGO in Wash sector (hard and soft activities required);
- Previous experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts
- Previous experience as Program manager on wash technical activities, handling big workload volume on base or mission level.
- Experience of donor reporting requirements
- Proven experience as an efficient and effective manager, mainly in capacity building/coaching
- Proven experience in efficient external coordination with different stakeholders at base level.
- Previous experience with SI and/or in Bangladesh is an asset
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Strong knowledge in project and team management, and monitoring tools
- Knowledge in WASH approaches and methodologies, both for hard and soft activities
- Capacity to deal with many different issues, to self- update and learn very quickly from a highly and constantly evolving environment
- A flexible approach to managing and prioritizing a high workload and multiple tasks with tight deadlines is essential
- An ability to analyze information quickly and accurately
- Good problem solving skills in day to day and crisis situations
- Ability to multitask and deal with stressful situations.
- Strong diplomatic and smooth leadership skills is essential;
- Skills in creating and developing a good working environment and team cohesion in and out support department.
- Organization, rigor and ability to meet deadlines
Languages: excellent English, written and spoken is essential
SI will offer you
A salaried post: according to experience from 1980 euros gross per month (1800 base salary + 10% annual leave).
Per Diem of 450 USD.
Social and medical cover: International staffs benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. Our policy was just modified: from now on, Solidarités offers you 7 working days ever three months, with a 850 USD allowance for each break. In addition to these regular break, SI adds a day off per worked month. These days off as well as the breaks are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary as they are offered by the organization.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
Teknaf is a fisherman town counting more than 150,000 habitants and offering minimum services (local restaurants, local shops…) and nice beaches. It is located 2 hours from Cox’s Bazar city.
In Teknaf, International staffs are accommodated in a Guest House with good standard of living conditions and located close to the Office.
In Teknaf, International staffs can enjoy some time at the beach or in the market during week end. They also have the possibility to go to Cox’s Bazar city during weekends where they will find more social opportunities, in terms of wide range of restaurants, touristic attractions and a large International staffs community.
No remarkable security concerns.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension