Hurricane Dorian Emergency WASH Consultant
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Purpose / Project Description:
Mercy Corps mobilized an assessment and response team to the Bahamas following Hurricane Dorian’s landfall as one of the most powerful Atlantic hurricanes on record. Mercy Corps’ team is on the ground and rapidly determining the most pressing needs. They are assessing the affected islands, meeting with emergency management officials and other responding organizations, and determining where Mercy Corps is best positioned to support relief efforts. We plan to develop partnerships with local organizations to conduct distributions and WASH programming to reach underserved or vulnerable people. In the medium-long term, we will consider cash distributions as well.
Mercy Corps seeks a WASH Consultant to start up implementation our Hurricane Dorian WASH efforts in the Bahamas. There are a number of WASH interventions being considered including working with partners including UNICEF and private sector actors, to produce drinking water to distribute to vulnerable populations with complimentary NFI kits. We are assessing longer-term water solutions to implement as recovery progresses, including the procurement and installation of smaller localized solar reverse osmosis unit. The start up operations will include mapping out work plans, coordinating with different stakeholder groups externally and working internally with Response team member as well as HQ teams to implement a quality program meeting urgent needs and maintaining high quality programming.
The Consultant will:
- Ensure technical excellence in Mercy Corps’ WASH interventions for the response.
- Support the design, implementation and coordination of additional emergency WASH interventions depending on needs and funding.
- Provide technical design inputs for WASH related concept notes and proposals.
- Coordinate with HQ technical team to manage risk and maximize our support for the local community.
- Develop initial costing and conceptual designs of proposed Reverse Osmosis water treatment and distribution systems.
- Support procurement of required water treatment and storage equipment.
- Identify and work collaboratively with local NGOs, the local utilities and authorities to leverage use of locally available contractors, equipment and supplies.
- Assist in identifying and support hiring of emergency treatment plant operators.
- Observe construction of WASH facilities for compliance with applicable standards.
- Coordinate with local WASH and utility staff to verify regular water testing is performed and documented and high quality water produced.
- Inform Team Leader regarding emergency water program operations, issues and needs.
- Serve as onsite representative and point of contact for Mercy Corps operations.
- Ensure WASH program design is appropriate to beneficiary needs, cost effective and in line with national, donor and Mercy Corps safety and compliance minimum standards.
- Ensure effective M&E systems are set up to track desired impacts.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- As required, adhere to Mercy Corps’ Program Management Minimum Standards based on the organization-wide guide.
- Ensure all interventions adhere to Mercy Corps’ Gender Policy, Do No Harm principles, and beneficiary accountability standards.
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Assist the team with representation at technical coordination meetings in WASH.
- Potentially oversee additional Mercy Corps staff if programming expands to multiple sites.
- Regular updates to HQ and other stakeholders
- Workplan and regular updates on progress
- Program implementation strategies
- M&E plans for the program
- Reports on program activities
Timeframe / Schedule:
Start asap in September and anticipated length of assignment is 3 to 6 months
The Consultant will report to:
Emergency Response Team Leader
The Consultant will work closely with:
- other response team members, Regional Program Team, Technical Support Unit, HLR team additional field and headquarters-based support departments as needed
Required Experience & Skills:
- BA/BS or equivalent in civil, water or sanitation engineering, public health or other relevant field.
- Minimum of 5 years of international relief and development program management experience in the WASH sector.
- Thorough understanding of water treatment technology including Reverse Osmosis to treat brackish water.
- Experience working with construction contractors and equipment suppliers including inspection, startup and commissioning of works.
- Established ability to manage and communicate effectively with team members of varied work styles.
- Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving.
- Proven ability to learn quickly, lead a program to achieve stated results and objectives.
- Experience with the development, implementation & compliance of various donor funded programs.
- Ability to effectively represent Mercy Corps and its interests to key stakeholders.
- Experience working with host governments, national and international NGOs.
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
- Knowledge of Sphere and WHO standards.