Nigeria nationals: WASH Officer
How can you make a difference?
Key function, accountabilities and related duties/tasks
Programme development and planning
- Research and analyze regional/national political, WASH, health, and social and economic development trends. Collect, analyze, verify and synthesize information to facilitate programme development, design and preparation.
- Prepare technical reports and inputs for programme preparation and documentation, ensuring accuracy, timeliness and relevance of information.
- Assist in the development/establishment of WASH-related outcome and output results, as well as related strategies, through analysis of WASH sector needs and priorities.
- Provide technical and administrative support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing/administering a variety of technical programme transactions, preparing materials/documentations, complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support progress towards the WASH-related outcome and/or output results in the Country Programme.
- Prepare required documentations/materials to facilitate review and approval processes
Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and partners to collect/analyze/ share information on implementation issues, suggest solutions on routine programme implementation and alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level interventions and/or decision. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts and prepare minutes/reports on results for follow up action by higher management and other stakeholders.
- Monitor and report on the use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocations, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report on issues identified to enable timely resolution by management/stakeholders. Follow up on unresolved issues to ensure resolution.
- Prepare inputs for programme and donor reporting.
Technical and operational support for programme implementation
- Undertake field visits and surveys, collect and share reports with partners/stakeholders. Report critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems to supervisor, for timely action.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices in WASH, to support programme implementation.
Humanitarian WASH preparedness and response
- Draft inputs for the preparation of WASH emergency preparedness, including the drafting of required supplies and services, long-term agreements, partnership agreements, and coordination mechanisms.
- Study and fully understand UNICEF's procedures for responding in an emergency.
- Take up support roles in an emergency response and early recovery, as and when the need arises.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Education: An advanced university degree in one of the following fields is required: public health, social sciences, behavior change communication, sanitary engineering; geology or another relevant technical field. Additional relevant post-graduate courses that complement/supplement the main degree are a strong asset.
- Experience: DEVELOPMENTAL: A minimum of one year of professional experience in WASH-related programmes for developing countries is required. HUMANITARIAN: A minimum of one year of professional experience in WASH-in-Emergencies is required.
- Language Requirements: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset