Consultancy: EVD WASH
Purpose of the Job
Under the guidance and supervision of the WASH Specialist/ Manager supports the development, preparation, management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation UNICEF WASH programme within the current Ebola Response. The EVD WASH Consultant provides technical guidance and management support throughout the programming processes, to facilitate the administration and achievement of the WASH IPC-related output results in the country programme. EVD WASH consultant will work closely with the EVD WASH Coordinator who is also hosted by UNICEF to ensure that all agreed standards, SOPs, and other technical guidance are well captured in UNICEF programming. The consultant will assist and fill in whenever requested by EVD WASH Coordinator.
The WASH/IPC Consultant will be accountable for the quality of UNICEF interventions as regard to WASH IPC in healthcare facilities and communities. As WASH/IPC response focal point for the WASH program, the consultant will:
- Provide technical and program development support to field response teams and partners engaged on WASH/IPC;
- Support WASH IPC TWG coordination at field level (in hotspots)
- Assist in developing adequate monitoring system and monitor to ensure qualitative interventions;
- Participate regularly in WASH/IPC emergency related coordination meetings, both internally and externally;
- Ensure regular and timely processes and impacts evaluation are done regarding UNICEF WASH IPC related interventions in healthcare facilities, Isolation Units and communities;
- Provide technical guidance to developing partnerships agreements and collaboration mechanisms with international and national NGOs that have relevant expertise, implementation capacity and knowhow in management of responses to WASH/IPC emergencies;
- Support systematic and timely reporting of WASH IPC activities to the WASH Specialist/ Manager and EVD Coordinator
- Facilitate a synergistic collaboration with the Government of South Sudan, the EVD National Task Force, EVD Secretariat, and partners (including UN agencies, Donors, NGOs, CSOs, etc.) for all aspects related to WASH including the development of national partners’ capacity.
- Bring coherence, synergy and added value to UNICEF’s Ebola response process in terms of planning and design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Participates in the state level coordination activities and actively represents UNICEF WASH in the IPC/WASH (Infection Prevention and Control) TWG in which UNICEF is co-lead
- Provide technical support, guidance and coordination to key governmental and non-governmental partners on policies, strategies, processes and programs related to WASH/IPC as regard to the current Ebola preparedness and response;
- Ensure that key technical information on WASH/IPC is communicated timely and accurately between field coordination teams; State Task Force ad Technical Working Groups
- Ensure effective knowledge management for WASH/IPC through:
- documentation and dissemination of lessons learned;
- development and implementation of appropriate capacity building strategies, and;
- technical leadership, guidance and coordination of operational research.
- Responsible for UNICEF WASH EVD projects deliverables with focus on WASH/ IPC, and ensure all supported isolation facilities, health facilities and public places have the required materials and supplies for WASH and IPC in line with the SOPs and operational plan
- Support the development of action plans on WASH/IPC, through partnership development and support to technical monitoring of UNICEF partners, specifically assist in: a) building capacity of field teams in IPC in healthcare facilities, b) strengthen capacity for needs assessments and response capacity etc., c) logistic and operational capacity, d) data-collection, monitoring and analysis capacity development;
- Provide technical leadership in data-driven prioritization and implementation of WASH/IPC strategies and interventions aligned to established guidelines and procedures
- Participate in EVD project monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts. Report critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems to enable timely resolution by management/stakeholders
- Liaise with logistics and supplies section, WASH cluster, WFP to ensure that WASH/IPC materials and supplies are timely requested, prepositioned in the isolation facilities, health facilities that are considered of high risk for EVD
- Establish active and participatory partnerships with key stakeholders in WASH/IPC (Government, WHO, other UN agencies, NGOs, bilateral agencies) and interact with them at various stages of the Ebola Operational Plan
- Maintain close working relationships with other UNICEF sectors, particularly Child Protection, Health, Nutrition, Education, and program communication to ensure cross-sectoral integration of the WASH/IPC component of the Ebola response;
- Build and sustain close working partnerships with government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate programme implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve WASH output results
Qualification of Successful Candidate
- A Master’s Degree in public health, emergency response, social sciences, behaviour change communication, sanitary engineering or other specialist field related to WASH/IPC is required
- A minimum of five years of professional work experience in WASH IPC -related programs for developing countries, including successful experience in infectious disease outbreak context
- Should have experience with design, construction and supervision of water supply including boreholes and piped water systems.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency (preparedness and response) and the IASC Cluster approach.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the international humanitarian response and coordination mechanisms
- Be able to work with diverse stakeholders to develop consensus
- Fluency in English (verbal and written). Good written and spoken skills in the language of the humanitarian operation and knowledge of another UN language an asset.
- Experience in management and capacity building of teams in complex contexts.
- Proven record of training/skills development of individuals and teams, including partner organizations.
- Proven ability to analyse complex humanitarian and recovery contexts at local and national level, monitor changes and translate into appropriate strategic planning
- Good assessment, analytical, monitoring and evaluating and planning skills and project management skills to enable program delivery.
- Ability to consolidate and triangulate information received from various sources
- Good communication skills
- Working experience in South Sudan is preferred
Estimated Duration of the Contract
4 Months: October 2019 - January 2020
Duty Station and Official Travel
Juba, with frequent travel to all EVD affected states and sites
The consultant shall be paid DSA upon arrival as per norms. The agreed fees shall be paid upon completion of monthly reports based on deliverables d submission of reports.
The consultant will work under the direct supervision of UNICEF Wash Specialist/ Manager
The selected applicant would be expected to take up the assignment by the 1st October 2019.