How can you make a difference?
Purpose: To provide technical and administrative support for the management and supervision of WASH construction contracts in Gambella Region under a KFW-funded program for water supply infrastructure for refugee and hosting communities.
The Consultant will liaise with the WASH team in Gambella and provide support for the supervision of works through technical guidance, oversight for utility management and coordination of the program tasks mentioned under this TOR. The major tasks will be coordination with government partners, verification of works be related to the day-to-day administration and quality control of construction contracts, consultancy contracts for works supervision and capacity building to local utilities and administrations. The development of the designs and tendering have been contracted to a design firm. In addition to the infrastructure components the consultant will be expected to oversee the capacity building for the water utility and coordinate alongside UNICEF field staff with government, UN, and NGO partners to ensure that timely management structures are in place to operate the system.
The specific tasks for the consultant are - but not limited to:
- Overview capacity building activities to ensure the water utility management structure has the required capacity to manage the system and monitor third party activities.
- Review business planning and tariff setting proposals for management structures for the system.
- Overview all the components of optimization, design, Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA), design and construction contracts in Gambella according to contractual specifications – this relates to consultancies contracted by UNICEF and the Regional Water Bureau for supervision of works and capacity building to local utilities and administrations.
- Conduct quality assurance of construction works, installation of electromechanical equipment, and materials.
- Collaborate with the design and effective implementation of a monitoring plan to follow up the implementation of UNICEF’s response in WASH sector, incorporating required changes into WASH-specific activities, with special attention to ensure equitable and inclusive provision of services among refugees and host communities.
- Support and follow up with different payment processes for the above contracts and make sure these comply with UNICEF’s procedures.
- Establish and maintain a proper coordination with all the partners involved and local sector authorities representing host communities and refugee camps.
- Coordinate with government and partners in the different stages of the program implementation, following up on cooperation agreements, recommendations, and other UNICEF commitments, including capacity development to national partners.
- Contribute to reporting mechanisms in accordance to UNICEF’s requirements
- Collaborate with UNICEF staff based in the targeted regions.
- Collaborate with Operations and Supply Section in Addis Ababa Office as per request of the line manager for contracting purposes and technical support.
- Provide timely and quality reports and technical advice to regional and local authorities, UNICEF, and other involved partners on different WASH issues as requested.
The Consultant will support UNICEF and local authorities in the implementation of the tasks outlined in this TOR. Coordination with different partners and actors is of upmost importance to ensure smooth implementation of UNICEF’s supported activities in the selected regions.
The Consultant will work as per instructions given by the WASH Section in Addis Ababa with administrative support provided by the Gambella Field Office under the guidance of the Program Specialist.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in civil or environmental engineering discipline or other relevant degree
- Five (5) years progressively responsible professional work experience at national and international levels in water infrastructure and WASH management programs. A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree in civil or environmental engineering discipline or other relevant degree.
- Experience working with optimization of water utilities or water management capacity building in urban or large-scale systems.
- Experience with quality assurance and site monitoring for civil engineering projects, including review of change orders, inspection of works, and reporting discrepancies.
- Strong communication skills and flexibility working with various government stakeholders
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook).
- Fluency in English is required.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.