WASH Program Manager
SI has been working in Syria since 2012 and currently has strong coverage for WASH, FSL and NFI programs across North West (NWS) and North East Syria (NES). The NES programs provide an integrated assistance in the WASH, NFI, Shelter and Livelihoods sectors to displaced populations and host communities affected by the conflict. NWS programs are remotely managed and provide WASH and NFI/Winterization support to affected populations. Since 2016, SI has been partnering with a local health partner to develop and strengthen a WASH-and-Health integrated approach, and is currently developing the streamlining of Protection within its existing programs.
The mission has expanded through a major consortium with 4 partners led by SI, which started in October 2018. The LEARN consortium funded by OFDA ( Linking Assistance and Relief in Northeast Syria ) will support equitable and safe access to essential basic services including WASH, Shelter and Health, for the most vulnerable populations affected by conflict and displacement in Northeast Syria. As a result, the operational volume has been growing extensively, so as the overall structure.
The Syria mission counts about 340 national staff, more than 60 expatriates, and has a 20 million USD budget forecasted for 2019.
About the job
SI is looking for a WASH Program Manager, based in Northeast Syria (NES).
SI has been rehabilitating water treatment and irrigation stations in several locations in NES, as a complement to its emergency activities (water trucking and emergency sanitation notably). These rehabilitations, which range from occasional small-scale rehabilitations on water networks to the near reconstruction of the entire station, have an extremely high impact for the affected population’s access to population for both consumption and irrigation purposes.
The WASH PM will be line-managed by a Deputy Field Coordinator for Programs, and will benefit from the functional support of the WASH Coordinator. He/she will work in synergy with the team’s Program Managers (Emergency WASH, Shelter, Cash-Based Interventions and MEAL), and will supervise a team currently comprised of a Deputy, a Supervisor and 4 Officers.
- Technical supervision and leadership: fine-tune and improve BoQ and technical specifications, ensuring standards are respected, notably regarding the safety of the infrastructures.
- External representation: coordination with the local authorities and the other actors (local and international) working in the WASH sector, in a spirit of transparency
Specific stakes and challenges:
- Highly technical works, requiring strong technicity for both internal (towards the team) and external legitimacy
- Work in extremely hard-to-reach/ volatile areas, with SI usually being the only international actor present
- The job holder will be required to work in close collaboration with the logistics department, providing technical support for the call for tender and other processes, due to the specificities of the works concerned
- Advanced degree in engineering, water treatment design and management or Water technician with experience (O&M, engineering, contractors supervision)
- At least 3 years of experience in water resource Operation and Maintenance or contracting and construction supervision or water engineering
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Water treatment, basic hydraulics, cast iron and PEHD pipe installation
- pumping station (pumps, injection pumps, mud pumps)
- Electricity (generators with a capacity of several hundreds kW, electrical transformers, distribution panels, …)
- Technical Assessment / Feasibility study / BoQ and Technical specification writing
- Tender process
- Work supervision (in hard context or tense situation)
- Good computer skills (Excel, Word, Google Earth)
Soft skills and spirit:
- Strong communications skills
- Fluent English with excellent writing capacities is mandatory
- Arabic will be an asset
SI will offer you
A salaried position: starting from 1980 euros gross per month (1800€ + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly per diem of 700 USD a month. Please note that salary is not negotiable with SI.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of on 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3/6 and 9 month (with 850 USD allocated by SI).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of 1 additional rest day per month worked (i.e. 12 days in addition for a 1-year contract)
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
[Living conditions : ]
Accommodation will be in SI guesthouses, which are spacious and comfortable. In the specific area where the position is located, security situation is stable (no curfew), with possibilities to socialize due to the presence of other INGOS.
However, security inside NES is overall volatile and justifies specific arrangements for accommodation and displacements in the areas of intervention. Adherence to strict security procedures is necessary, while the security levels can vary according to the different geographical locations and the changes of context.
SI is the only actor present in its area of intervention. The highly volatile context as well conduct the program department to design and implement activities with a strong focus on access and acceptance.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension