Staff Attorney (Bay Program)
The Environmental Integrity Project (EIP) is hiring a Staff Attorney to conduct Clean Water Act legal advocacy and enforcement in the Chesapeake Bay, with an emphasis on strengthening water discharge permits and improving rates of Clean Water Act compliance in Maryland. The position requires 1-5 years of post-law school legal experience, and the selected candidate will work closely with coalition partners on Chesapeake Bay-related enforcement priorities.
- Work closely with EIP attorneys and other staff, coalition partners, and clients to investigate, develop, and prosecute cases and appeal weak, deficient permits.
- Participate, with increasing responsibility, in a range of tasks required for case development and litigation than can include factual investigation, legal research, discovery, briefing, witness preparation, and oral advocacy.
- Law school graduate admitted to, or eligible to apply for admission to, the District of Columbia Bar.
- 1-5 years of post-law school legal experience, with litigation experience preferred.
- Excellent research, analytic, writing, and communication skills.
- Strong work ethic, initiative, sound judgment, and creativity.
- Ability to work constructively and with professionalism in a diverse, dynamic, and hard-working team-oriented atmosphere.
- Commitment to public interest work and a passion for the role of EIP and its mission.
- Awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of diverse individuals.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, a legal writing sample of no more than 7 pages, phone and email contacts for three references, and law school transcripts. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please submit your application materials to Mary Greene at .