WASH Sector Leader
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation - by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organisation and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
SNV’s WASH initiatives in both a rural and an urban context will provide access to improved drinking water services and/or improved sanitary facilities for 5 million people from 2019 to 2022. Access to water and sanitation is a human right, and we work with local governments to realise that right in their area, aiming at area-wide services. Our work improves environmental health by reducing pathways for disease transmission, and reduces both untreated human waste and wastewater.
Long-term sustainability lies at the core of our work. We strengthen public governance around WASH services, support institutional changes and capacity, develop financially viable services, and improve asset management of existing WASH infrastructure. This includes strengthening the roles of civil society and the private sector in advocacy and operation, as well as promoting sector and stakeholder dialogue and reflection about changing needs and standards in the light of increasing urbanisation and the Sustainable Development Goals.
SNV Nepal was our first office in Asia, commencing in 1980. Since then we have directly impacted the lives of people in some of the poorest districts of the country. Currently we operate in 4 of 7 provinces across Nepal. The primary office is based in Kathmandu, with project offices in provinces. SNV’s WASH sector in Nepal presently has four major projects under implementation, encompassing both rural and urban sanitation, WASH in health care facilities and rural water. Our work is aligned with the development priorities of the government of Nepal and integrates the strengthening of the new federal structure at federal, provincial and local level.
Overview of the position
SNV seeks a talented, entrepreneurial, result oriented and proven professional who will work with the country team to further build on SNVs high quality WASH programme.
The WASH Sector Leader;
- Is responsible for the overall quality of WASH programme content, business development, resource mobilisation, and steering the quality of technical advisory services, SNV WASH programmes in country;
- Is responsible for donor reporting and relations in country;
- Will enhance the quality and visibility of our WASH programmes and position SNV within the national WASH sector; and
- Assumes the role of in-country Project Manager for the USHHD (Urban Sanitation and Hygiene for Health and Development) project in Nepal.
The WASH Sector Leader reports directly to the Country Director and collaborates closely with the WASH global sector team.
- Strategic Leadership: develop country level WASH strategy aligned to corporate WASH frameworks;
- Advisory Services: lead complex assignments, set benchmarks for results, and monitor quality of advisory services of the WASH sector team;
- Programme Management: deliver effective development results, planning and monitoring, financial management, and donor reporting;
- Business Development: develop proposals and secure funding for innovative WASH programmes;
- People Management: lead, manage, and coach the team of SNV advisors, local capacity builders and consultants;
- Monitoring & Evaluation: ensure uniform understanding and practice in planning, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation of WASH programmes in line with SNV’s internal frameworks;
- Representation & Promotion: develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders to improve SNV’s market position and actively participate in external and internal networks;
- Knowledge and learning: Facilitate learning, documentation and evidence based knowledge development in collaboration with SNV’s global team and partners;
- Relationship Management: ensure quality donor relationship management related to ongoing and new programmes/projects.
- Contribute to SNV as a member of the Country Management Team.
- Relevant advanced academic qualification in WASH or related field;
- 7+ years of relevant experience in WASH service delivery including at least 5 years in a management role;
- A thorough understanding of the aspects influencing sustainable WASH service delivery beyond the community level.
- International work experience in-country and the ability to effectively coach and lead a team of advisors in a multi-cultural setting;
- Strong background in resource mobilisation; demonstrated programme design, proposal writing, business development, and international donor relationship management;
- Proven track record in project management, specifically in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management for large scale comprehensive projects;
- Established WASH networks and strong relationship management skills;
- Interest to collaborate, contribute to and learn from peers in SNV’s global WASH network;
- Proficiency in English speaking, reading and writing required;
- The successful candidate will be a self-motivated achiever with excellent intercultural leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organisational skills.
Reports to: Country Director Nepal
Contract Duration: 2 years
Contract Type: International
Desired Start Date: As soon as possible
Working at SNV:
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of WASH experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
How to Apply:
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation indicating salary expectations by clicking on the "I'm interested" button.
All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement