Sanitation Activity Manager
ABOUT THE MISSION IN MYANMAR ...
Desired start date: 01/09/2019
Duration of the mission: 12 months
Location: Sittwe, Rakhine State, Myanmar
SI has been in Myanmar since 2008. For the first three years SI worked in the Delta in response to the devastating Cyclone Nargis. In 2011, SI expanded to three new regions (Dry Zone, Rakhine, and Chin State) focusing on Livelihoods, Food Security, Shelter, and WASH. In January 2012 SI expanded to Kachin State to respond to an emergency situation created by the displacement of Kachin population affected by the arm conflict.
SI currently has a coordination base in Yangon, with field bases in the Rakhine and Kachin States. In 2018, 17 international staff and 265 national staff are working within SI to implement 16 contracts (on-going or finished) in WASH, FSL, Emergency programs (NFI, Shelter, WASH, Food) funded by OFDA, DFID/HARP, ECHO, CIAA, Mairie de Paris (MDP), Centre de Crise (CDC), OCHA and UNICEF.
SI has 2 regional operational bases (with 2 Field Coordinators):
- In Rakhine State - Sittwe regional base with three areas of intervention in Pauktaw, Rathedaung and Sittwe Townships. Sittwe regional base is composed of 203 national staffs and 7 expatriates.
- In Kachin State - Bhamo regional base with a sub-base in Lwegel. Bhamo regional base is composed of 36 national staffs and 3 expatriates.
ABOUT THE JOB
The WASH activity manager is in charge of carrying out and accomplishing the objectives as defined in the operation proposals. He/she is responsible for the supervision of the operational teams assigned the WASH activity. He/she must ensure that the WASH activity are well executed and deliver quality results, where appropriate, proposes adjustments or developments to ensure relevance.
- Diagnostics and project conception
- Implementation and operational follow-up
THE MAIN CHALLENGES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION ARE:
Solidarites International (SI) is implementing WASH activities in Sittwe camps and is in charge of management and maintenance of a Sludge Treatment System (STS).
The Sanitation Activity Manager will be responsible for a set of activities related to the sanitation chain, including the follow up of treatment efficiency of the STS. He/she will be also responsible to ensure that all operation and maintenance procedures and standard operating procedures are respected.
The Sanitation Activity Manager will be responsible for carrying out the capitalization related to the Sanitation activities and the follow-up of other sanitation activities.
The Sanitation Activity Manager will be responsible of management and follow up of his team, in coordination with the Project Manager.
- Optimize Wastewater Treatment Station performance.
- Implement the consultant’s recommendation within the frame of the project.
- Capitalize the processes related to the STS.
Education: Bachelor degree in civil engineering, environmental engineering, or a related field. Master degree in related field is desirable.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of relevant international WASH experience, preferably in emergency or humanitarian contexts;
- experience in sanitation, and management of sludge treatment system (STS);
- experience in complex environments preferred (conflict, post-conflict);
- IDP camp experience desirable.
- Experienced in managing team.
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Good technical knowledge about WASH with specialised knowledge about wastewater treatment and fecal sludge treatment preferred.
- Knowledge of the overall sanitation chain (desludging / wastewater treatment / latrine innovation like biodigester) is strongly needed.
- Capacity building skills are required.
- Patience and diplomacy
- Good social and interpersonal skills
Languages: Very good level of English is compulsory, Rakhine/Burmese a plus.
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post: according to experience from 1760 euros gross per month (1600 base salary + 10% annual leave).
A monthly Per Diem of 500 USD.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. Our policy was just modified: from now on, Solidarités offers you 7 working days ever three months, with a 850 USD allowance for each break. In addition to these regular break, SI adds a day off per worked month. These days off as well as the breaks are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary as they are offered by the organization.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
[LIVING AND SECURITY CONDITIONS: ]
The guesthouses are situated in Sittwe town and equipped with basic but comfortable furniture. The office is situated few minutes from the guesthouses by car.
Lot of INGOs are working in Sittwe and the city offers good opportunities for social life and free-time activities.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension