Head of Policy and Governance
It's hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet - around one in three of the world's population. Every two minutes a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation.
WaterAid Mozambique is looking for a Head of Policy and Governance to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere by 2030.
The Head of Policy and Governance will:
- Create and maintain strategic partnerships with the government of Mozambique and other sector stakeholders on policy and governance issues related to WASH.
- Lead the delivery of influencing programmes at national and district level including, policy and legislation, budgets, co-ordination mechanisms and innovative delivery approaches to strengthen WASH services and increase WASH access;
- Design and lead policy and governance programmes and projects that are responsive to contextual needs
- Lead the development of operational plans and budgets within your portfolio in line with WaterAid's policies, procedures and donor contractual agreements.
- Perform line management function for the Policy and Governance Programme team members;
To be successful, you'll need to be:
- Minimum seven (7) years professional experience with at least three (3) in a senior management position in a reputable international or national non-governmental organization (NGO);
- Experience working with local decision makers (government officials, mayors and board of supervisors, etc.)
- Working knowledge and understanding of governance and good practice from public, private or voluntary sector;
- Demonstrated effective influencing skills with the ability to negotiate complicated political situations effectively and using partnerships effectively to achieve shared aims;
- Understanding of complex strategic planning in non-profit and government environments.
- Knowledge of policy and policy-making process at a local and State level. ….
- Fully committed to WaterAid's vision, mission and values and a way of working that demonstrates this, with the ability to communicate this enthusiasm to others.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We'll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we're making great progress - since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation.
We're looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We're looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
Click on 'Apply' to download the job description.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application, consisting of a letter of interest and a CV to before the 1st September 2019.
Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Mozambique.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
No recruitment agencies please.