Nigeria nationals: Gender in WASH Sector
The purpose of this assignment is to provide technical support to the FMWR in mainstreaming Gender in the WASH sector by:
- Revising and finalizing the National Gender Action Plan (NGAP) on WASH (formerly, the Guidelines for Gender Mainstreaming in WASH) incorporating the results of participatory consultations: a) on priority gender gaps and proposed interventions b) draft Gender checklist (GC),
- As a preface of NGAP on WASH to come up with summative SitAn on gender dimensions in water resource and WASH policies using literature review, existing data analyses, secondary assessments of gender mainstreaming of WASH policies and programming documents and summative situation analysis
- Â Finalizing a Gender Checklist on WASH, to be incorporated into the National Gender Action Plan.
- To present the draft document to FMWR with the key stakeholder. Based on the recommendations to finalize the document
- Disseminating/Rolling out the National Gender Action Plan to critical state/LGA level staff on a national level
The key tasks of this consultancy include:
- Desk review
Tailor the available draft Guidelines for Gender Mainstreaming in WASH document and propose possible improvements based on Gender Analysis/Assessments performed in the sector, as well as other available sector data and documents.
- Interviews with FMWR
Perform in-depth interviews with FMWR programme staff on the current gender mainstreaming practices. Validate the findings from the desk review.
- Report writing
Based on the desk review and interviews, the National Gender Action Plan and Gender Checklist can be drafted with the sector findings. Scores to what extend gender has been or should be incorporated into the FMWR WASH programme should be identifiable.
- Sharing of Findings and Dissemination of Document
- A Gender & WASH workshop should be organized with key sector stakeholders and findings shared for feedback, which will feed into the final report.
- The finalization of the report and a brief presentation towards key decision makers will conclude the assessment. Here, the Consultant should facilitate national level discussions to come with recommendations for a Way Forward and ensure the roll out and full adoption of the National Gender Action Plan as the sector's instruments.
Academic qualifications or specialized knowledge/experience and competencies required:
- University degree in Gender Studies, Social Sciences, Public Administration/Policy, Development Studies and other related field with 2 years professional work experience.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in gender and development; gender assessments, gender mainstreaming, water, sanitation and hygiene policies and programmes.
- Experience working in Nigeria and with Nigerian government partners is considered an asset
- Proven analytical and planning skills and ability to think strategically.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work individually
Contract duration is 4 weeks
Candidate should quote an all inclusive fee in their cover letter