India nationals: Environment and Resettlement Specialist
The UNDP has engaged with the State Government of Uttarakhand to provide technical support in several sectors for implementation of flagship Government programmes, externally aided projects and State schemes and programmes. Under this collaboration UNDP in Uttarakhand will also be supporting the Department of Skill Development and Employment in mobilisation of high quality human resource within and implementation of capacity building training plan of existing and newly recruited professionals will lead to directly in achievement of the World Bank funded Uttarakhand Workforce Development Project (UKWDP) objectives of improving the quality and relevance of training at priority Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) and of increasing the number of labor-market-relevant workers through short-term training in Uttarakhand.
The UKWDP will contribute to these objectives by supporting Uttarakhand to strengthen the delivery of skills and training programs to produce higher-quality workers with relevant market skills and increasing access. This state-level skills development project would also play a strategic role in the World Bank’s engagement in the skills agenda at the national level. An in-depth experience and lessons from Uttarakhand would inform the national-level engagement and could also provide a demonstration effect. There would be close linkages and synergies between the proposed project and the national-level engagements.
UNDP will therefore support the Uttarakhand Workforce Development Project in hiring of team of professionals and provide capacity building support through trainings, workshops, exposure visits and Knowledge Management along with documentation of best practices. The team of professionals will help the project in implementation and monitoring of project activities while as UNDP team of experts will provide timely capacity building trainings to strengthen the delivery of skills and training programs and to produce higher-quality workers with relevant market skills and increasing access.
In context of above, UNDP is looking to hire an Environment and Resettlement Specialist to support the State Project Implementation Unit of UKWDP /Department of Skill Development and Employment in implementation of the project.
The Environment and Resettlement Specialist would be placed with the SPIU of UKWDP, DSDE Uttarakhand.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring compliance of Environment Management Framework www.rojgar.uk.gov.in(EMF) to the project
- Ensuring environmental screening & scoping, and assessment is undertaken for each project activity and specific EMPs are prepared which are monitored and reported.
- Ensuring integration of above into planning and decision-making while developing master plans and other project activities.
- Assist and guide Environment Health & Safety (EHS) coordinators in ITIs in the implementation of EMPs.
- Periodic site visits to ITIs to ensure compliance of environmental management activities by EHS coordinators including, but not limited to, implementation of projects activities by the line departments and contractors, identification of good practices and shortcomings, if any and advice on the remedial corrections.
- Each ITI should be visited a minimum of 3 times a year or more as required.
- Ensuring integration of environmental management, from planning to monitoring & reporting, in the project’sMIS.
- Liaising with various State line departments & other implementing agencies on environmental matters.
- Detailing all the environmental laws and regulations of the state and national government which will apply to specific sub project activities.
- Coordinating with State-level regulatory authorities for obtaining environment clearances in a timely manner.
- Imparting training on environmental management to SPIU, ITI staff and EHS coordinators.
- Capacity building of contractors on environmental issues, practices and procedures to be followed.
- Supervise consultants deployed to carry out specific works with regards to environmental management.
- Prepare information, communication, and education strategy on environmental management to enable proper conduct of stakeholder consultations.
- Identify training agencies and coordinate training events.
- Documenting good practices and expenditure of environmental management in the project.
- Ensure regular monthly reporting by ITIs on environmental management compliance in close coordination with EHSCoordinators.
- Prepare and share quarterly monitoring reports on environmental management with the World Bank as part of the quarterly progress reports.
Work involves frequent travelling across the state.
- Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in the subject area of the project, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
- Strong Oral and Communication skills.
- Strong analytical, assessment and project planning skills.
- Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to apply conceptual models in support of implementation of the various activities assigned by the SPIU/DSDE, Uttarakhand;
- Good knowledge of the results-based management of the activities/initiatives;
- Good working Knowledge of Computers, MS Office, ICT Tools;
- Ability to lead implementation of initiatives.
- Corporate Competencies:
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards.
Required Skills and Experience
- Essential – Post Graduate in Environment Science
- Essential – More than 10 years experience in Environmental Management, preferably on Education projects. Work involves frequent travelling across the state.
- Fluency of Hindi and English Language is required.
Duration of the Work:
- The contract will be awarded for one year initially. Working days will be as per the State Government policy.
- All official travel must be authorized and certified in advance. Candidates will be entitled to get TA/DA as per government rules from SPIU, DSDE and in case of official journey outside the State, prior approval of reporting officer shall be required.
Schedule of Payments:
- Consolidated Annual Consultancy Fee (Remuneration) of INR 960000/- payable in equal installments @ INR 80000 per month, upon submission of monthly progress report certified by the reporting officer.
- Contract will be administered by UNDP on behalf of the state government of Uttarakhand;
- The consultant would report to Director,UKWDP, Government of Uttarakhand;
- All the logistic support related official travel will be borne by the Government of Uttarakhand as per their prevailing rules;
- Consultant will be entitled for 2 days per month (non-encashable)
Personal CV indicating all past experiences from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and atleast 3 professional references.
Evaluation Method and criteria
Preliminary shortlisting would be done based on the following criteria:
- Educational Qualification 30 marks.
- Relevant Experience 40 marks.
- Interview for 30 marks