Senior Planner (Water Resources)
What you will do
- You will provide specialist advice and input to your team and function that supports the development and implementation of strategy and plans.
- You will undertake practical and technical tasks requiring specialist knowledge and expertise on a range of matters relating to your profession.
- You will analyse and interpret a range of complex information relevant to your specialist area and communicate this to others, contributing to the development of strategy and policy.
- You will be responsible for leading and managing specific areas of work which may include the implementation of plans.
- You will undertake research as required and produce documents that provide advice, guidance or opinion which others will use and act upon.
- You will be involved in the development of organisational strategy and policy and will have some autonomy in relation to implementation of organisational policy.
- You will influence the work of others through your actions and decision making, the impact of which will be both internal and external.
- You will be responsible for a budget, which will be a delegated part of a larger budget managed by a more senior employee.
- You will review the validity of documentation relating to the procurement of good and services.
Who you will be working with
- You will collaborate with people across the organisation engaging with key stakeholders for the efficient delivery of policy and work plans.
- You will be build relationships with both internal and external stakeholders and provide specialist input and influence on the implementation of policy and strategy.
- You will facilitate and deliver presentations for internal and external meetings, providing advice, as required.
- You will work with other specialist/technical staff and will lead them through specialist/ technical programmes of work, through a matrix management approach.
- You may work in situations where individuals become angry and upset and which are challenging emotionally, requiring you to stay calm under pressure when resolving the issues presented.
- You will mentor less experienced colleagues.
Where you will be working
Your role will be primarily office based but may entail travel between different NRW locations, as well as working at partner organisations and other premises.
What knowledge and skills you need
- You will have a recognised qualification, degree or equivalent experience.
- You will have substantial experience working in the field relevant to your role with experience across a range of roles or in different roles within an organisation.
- You will have specialist/technical knowledge in a range of subjects within your field.
- You will have proven involvement of working in a variety of functions and remain up to date with developments in your technical or specialist field.
- You will have good inter-personal skills and able to develop and maintain good relationships and networks.
- You will have analytical skills enabling you to analyse and interpret a range of complex information in relation to your specific area of specialism.
- You will have the skills to manage your workload and prioritise tasks in relation to conflicting objectives and targets.
What other information is relevant to your job
This role description sets out a broad indication of the role, where it sits within the overall NRW structure and indicative expectations of the post holder. Before applying for this role please read the candidate guidance