Chispa Nevada Civic Engagement Director
The League of Conservation Voters Education Fund (LCVEF) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCVEF, in collaboration with our state LCVEF partners, advocates for strong environmental protections, organizes communities to speak up about their environmental values and engages people in the democratic process in order to enact strong environmental laws.
LCVEF’s work to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Communities of color are disproportionately impacted by climate change and pollution. For this reason, racial justice and equity are inextricably linked to protecting our environment. Within the organization, we are actively building a workplace culture that demonstrates how we value equity and inclusion through more intentional and inclusive practices. We are committed to building an organization that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.
In 2014, LCVEF launched Chispa (“chispa” translates to “spark” in English) – a multi-state program that relies on grassroots community organizing to amplify the voice and power of Latino families and other communities of color to influence the environmental policies and decisions that affect their lives. Over the last four years, Chispa has grown to five states – Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Maryland and Nevada – and is one of the largest community organizing efforts of any national environmental organization focused on communities of color.
LCVEF is seeking a Civic Engagement Director for the Chispa Nevada program who has strong experience in program management, nonpartisan voter registration and a passion for voter access. This role will help develop a 2020 campaign of voter engagement, a voting rights and democracy agenda for Chispa NV, working with the organizing team and civic engagement staff as well as community partners, and build coalitions for a strong program that drives individuals through the full cycle of civic engagement from voter registration, turning out to vote, to engaging civically and advocating for the rights of their community. We are looking for a creative, motivated leader who is goal-driven and detail-oriented.
- Directly oversee the Nevada nonpartisan voter registration efforts by ensuring progress toward programmatic goals.
- Track and report data and progress related to nonpartisan voter registration efforts. Ensure program is executed with a high standard of quality control, professionalism, appropriate long-range perspective, and in compliance with all applicable laws, including conducting on-site compliance reviews.
- Develop, implement, and conduct customized training programs for canvassers and area directors.
- Draft and manage nonpartisan voter registration campaign and program plans and manage funder and coalition reporting as needed.
- Develop follow-up communications and other tactics targeted at new registrants to engage them in Chispa NV programs.
- Work with Chispa NV Program Director and LCVEF Civic Engagement leadership to develop, implement and evaluate advocacy, coalition-building and organizing campaigns that advance voting rights and protect against voter suppression.
- Work with Chispa NV team and the LCVEF Civic Engagement leadership to develop and test effective and new organizing and mobilizing strategies and tools to integrate voter registration into an organizing program focused on key constituencies who are disproportionately impacted by environmental issues.
- Work closely with the Chispa digital team to develop online campaign tools and increase online engagement of communities of color with campaigns and programs.
- Attend coalition meetings across Nevada to build relationships, identify opportunities for engagement, and advance the goals of Chispa NV programs.
- Manage and maintain relationships with the Civic Engagement State Table and funding partners.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: Required – Minimum of 3-5 years of experience working on voter registration, electoral, community organizing or labor organizing campaigns, including successful experience managing campaigns, focused on communities of color. Experience in developing program plans and executing metrics-driven campaigns. Working knowledge of online database and field reporting systems, like VAN, or the ability to learn them. Must have experience managing a team of staff and/or volunteers. Preferred – Experience working with coalitions and developing partnerships to advance shared goals.
- Skills: Required – Exceptional leadership, supervision, management and coaching skills including managing staff. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to juggle multiple tasks, solve problems and set priorities in a fast-paced, high-performance environment. Ability to partner and collaborate with existing Chispa NV team and represent Chispa NV and LCVEF to a variety of audiences and through various mediums. Reliable, consistent, detail-oriented and self-motivated. Must be bilingual in English and Spanish. Strong understanding of individual motivation and how to engage people (mastery of core organizing skills). Preferred – Excellent writing and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write and implement a comprehensive voter registration program and issue advocacy campaign plans. Commitment to measuring and tracking progress and outcomes. Working knowledge of compliance issues and regulations related to 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations.
- Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to integrating racial justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Familiarity with the complexity of issues and obstacles facing communities’ of color participation in U.S. democracy. Flexibility, self-awareness, emotional intelligence, and ability to bring creative ideas and a fresh perspective to an evolving civic engagement program. Familiarity with Nevada democratic processes and in-state community preferred.
- Conditions: Ability to work evenings and travel in-state and nationally, 10-30% of the time total, depending on program. This position will often require non-traditional hours and will involve work on the weekends. This position is based in Las Vegas, Nevada.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to with “NV Civic Engagement Director” in the subject line by September 9, 2019. No phone calls please.