Senior Water and Sanitation Analyst
Senior Water and Sanitation Analyst will support the GGGI team in Lao to manage the entire cycle of the wastewater management project from feasibility study, stakeholder engagement, community participation, awareness creation, financial sustainability, governance, policy development, capacity building to project implementation and leading the construction supervision and reporting.
This position will be based in Pakse for 70% of time, to support project implementation for the fecal-sludge treatment systems and the centralized wastewater collection systems (DEWATs). The remainder of the time (30%) will be spent in Vientiane to support the implementation and roll out of the sanitation strategy of the government and further business development on sanitation.
GGGI is supporting the Government of Lao PDR on solid waste and wastewater management under its green cities work. GGGI has been involved in the development of National Urban Sanitation Strategy and some of the strategies will be implemented under a KOICA funded project, Wastewater and Solid Waste Treatment Capacity Building Project for City Environment Improvement in Lao PDR. The total approved amount for the project is USD 6.5 million for four years from 2019 to 2022.
In support of this project, the GGGI Water and Sanitation Team in HQ Seoul is seeking a Water and Sanitation Analyst to support the GGGI team in Laos to manage the entire cycle of the wastewater management project from feasibility study, stakeholder engagement and community participation, awareness creation, financial sustainability, governance, policy development, capacity building to project implementation, leading the construction supervision and reporting.
He/she shall play a critical role in fostering collaboration and coordination among GGGI, KOICA, BORDA, and GOL through the day-to-day communication, and shall demonstrate excellent project management skills and in-depth knowledge in wastewater and sanitation delivery services. He/she shall also initiate partnerships with other development agencies, private sector and community-based organizations to ensure the successful implementation of the project. Moreover, the Analyst will be an integral part of the Water Thematic area and will contribute to water activities.
The position holder shall manage the Water and Sanitation project across GGGI Lao PDR country operations by, among other tasks, engaging with KOICA, GOL, district government, village authorities, community members and in-house/external experts to achieve shared goals of the project among stakeholders.
In doing so, the Senior Analyst will work closely with the Lao PDR country office and the Global Water and Sanitation Thematic team, Headquartered in Seoul. Through the progress of the project the Senior Analyst will be expected to share and communicate the Lao experience to a broader regional and global audience under the guidance of Global Thematic Lead of Water and Sanitation.
The general role and responsibilities of the Senior Water and Sanitation Analyst include:
- Manage the implementation of the wastewater/sanitation project to improve the wastewater management system in Pakse, Laos. In this respect, manage the preparation of the feasibility study for the decentralized wastewater treatment systems (DEWATs) and fecal sludge treatment plant (FSTP) and manage the technical partner which will do the construction of these DEWATs and FSTP;
- Facilitate effective communications and cooperation with GOL, BORDA and KOICA to enhance the delivery of the project;
- Contribute to activities for sanitation demand creation, dissemination and knowledge building around water and sanitation issues;
- Develop the GGGI program of water & sanitation projects in Laos PDR, including stakeholder relations and expectation management, coordination of and contribution to sanitation events and consultations, and support to the contribution of team members to relevant sanitation project outputs;
- Provide technical and on-demand analytical support to the local government on sanitation policies and service delivery models, designing sustainable, inclusive, climate-resilient wastewater;
- Conduct assessments for designing sustainable, inclusive, and climate-resilient wastewater and sanitation service delivery models and developing governance structures in Laos PDR, in alignment with Laos PDR policies and practices, technology and viable business models;
- Analyze sanitation policies in Laos PDR, determining bottlenecks for sanitation implementation and designing innovative solutions to overcome these impediments;
- Analyze financial viability of service delivery models and contribute to financial sustainability of the delivery models;
- Support development of sector policy and strategies for sanitation in the context of green urban development, in consultation with relevant federal and local government agencies;
- Provide advice on climate change vulnerability and disaster risk assessments and mitigation for urban areas in relation to water and sanitation;
- Support the County Representative and Global Thematic Lead of the Water and Sanitation and provide guidance to other staff in executing wastewater and sanitation projects in Lao PDR and Asia.
- An advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in civil/water or water resources engineering, sanitation engineering, or any discipline related to the assignment. Relevant professional experience may be considered to supplement educational degree.
- Minimum 8 (eight) years of professional experience in the water and sanitation fields, with substantive experience related to project management, planning & administration and feasibility studies in technical analysis, financial sustainability & governance, policy development, communications and outreach, stakeholder engagement;
- International experience (outside of Laos PDR) or experience working with international organizations in Laos PDR is a strong advantage.
Skills, Knowledge, Attributes:
- Experience of developing and delivering capacity building programs and community awareness in the area of wastewater/sanitation to a wide range of stakeholders;
- Effectively engages community members in the project development phase and handle complex multi-stakeholder relationships in the project delivery;
- Experience of working with international organizations and governments of developing countries;
- Experience of working on the waste management issues in Lao PDR is a plus;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work under pressure and to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different backgrounds;
- Fluent oral and written English.
Corporate Behaviors and Values:
- Understands and actively supports GGGI's mission, vision, values as well as GGGI's Water and Sanitation strategy;
- Processes and shares information easily and is excellent at problem solving;
- Demonstrates ability to maintain a high degree of professional integrity;
- Works effectively with teams of a high degree of cultural/professional diversity.