Associate Programme Management Officer
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UN Environment/ Europe Office is the voice of UN Environment in Europe. Europe Office’s main goal is to provide a political liaison with the governments in the pan European region, guide national authorities at various levels, and engage in and facilitate the ongoing dialogue between the civil society, the private sector and governmental authorities, on environmental issues. This post is located at the Geneva duty station, within the Tehran Convention interim Secretariat administered by UN Environment’s Europe Office. Under the overall programmatic supervision of the Deputy Regional Director and the direct supervision of the Coordinator of the Tehran Convention interim Secretariat, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties.
Supports the Implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programmes, operations and other activities within the scope of the Tehran Convention Annual Programme of Work:
- Works with key clients to facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes specific aspects of programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and recommends corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Carries out basic research on selected aspects of programmes, operations and other activities, to include collecting, analyzing and presenting statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources.
- Provides substantive support for policy coordination and evaluation functions, including the review and analysis of emerging issues and trends, participation in evaluations or research activities and studies.
- Assists in performing consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Participates in survey initiatives; assists with design of data collection tools; issues data collection tools, reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares preliminary conclusions.
- Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposing participants, preparing of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, etc.
- Undertakes outreach activities; participates in the development of training workshops, seminars, etc.; participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participates in field missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Performs other duties as required.
- An advanced university degree in Business Administration, International Studies, Management, Economics, Environment or a related field is required. A first level degree in combination with two additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in project/programme management, administration or related area is required. Experience with donor relations and relations with governments in Caspian region is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Russian is desirable. Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview.