Consultancy Services For Sanitation Financing And Cost Recovery Model
The Government of the Republic of Malawi has received financing fromthe World Bank toward the costof the Lilongwe Water and Sanitation Project (LWSP) and intends to apply part of the proceeds for co nsulting services.
Theproject development objective of the LWSP is to increase access to improved water services and safelymanaged sanitation inLilongwe City. The project scope consists of four components: Component 1 – water distribution ne twork rehabilitation,expansion and non-revenue water reduction; Component 2 - Priority sanitation improvements; Component 3 –Technicalassistance; and Component 4 – Institutional capacity strengthening. The LWSP will be implemented over a perio d of five(5) years. The project will be implemented jointly by Lilongwe Water Board (LWB) and Lilongwe City Council (LCC). However,theoverall coordination of the Project will lie with LWB through the Project Implementation Unit (PIU).
The consulting services include: (i) to undertake a rapid assessment of the existing sanitation financing arrangements and revenue streams (currentand potential) for both on-site sanitation and sewerage services in Lilongwe City.; (ii) to develop a model for different saniit antion financing, including options for full and partial cost recovery, and appropriate mechanisms for the differentpopulation/marksegments and users along the sanitation service chain; and (iii) to develop an action plan for the institutionaland regulatory acc ompanying measures for the proposed sanitation financing and cost recovery model.
The Lilongwe WaterBoard now invites eligi ble individuals (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services.Interested Consultants should prov ide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experienceto perform the Services. The shortl isting criteria are:
- Master’s degree in Business Administration/Economics/ Financing with at least 15 years&rs quo; work experience related to the water supply, sewerage and sanitation sector,especially in areas of; financing, revenue models for utility and/or urban services, and implementing partial/full cost recoverymeasures for sewage or public sanitation systems.
- Significant experience in commercial utility/urban services operationswith strategic focus on optimizing revenue streams androbust financing models for sustaining infrastructure investments andquality services.
- Demonstrable experience in a mult i-disciplinary team environment.
- Working experience indonor assisted projects.
- Familiarity with urban sanitatio n/sewerage and utility - institutional, regulatory andfinancing issues in developing countries.
- Fluency in speaking and w riting English.
Thetotal time input is estimated at 120 man-days spread over a perio d of four months. The consultant is expected tospend about 60 percent of this time in Lilongwe. Detailed Terms of Reference (TORs) are available on the LWB websitehttps://www.lwb.mw/tenders/ . The TORs can also be sent to interested consultants by e-mail upon re quest from the e-mail addressindicated below.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to Section III, paragraphs, 3.14, 3.16, and 3.17 of theWorld Bank’s “Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers” July 2016, Revised November 2 017 and August 2018(“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.&nb sp;
AConsultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant (INDV) selection method set out in theProcurement Regulations.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours i.e. 08 :00 to16:30 hours.
Expressions of interest clearly marked: “Expression of Interest – Consultancy Services for Sanitation Financing and Cost Recovery Model” including detailed curriculum vitae andcopies of academic and professional certificates must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, orr coy e-mail) by 23rd August, 2019.
The Chief Executive Officer
Attn: Chairman - InternalPro rement and Disposal Committee
Lilongwe Water Board
Madzi House, Off LikuniRoad
P.O Box 96, Lilongwe
Tel:+265 1 75 0 366
Fax: +265 1 757 343