Policy Associate for Water Efficiency, Appliance Standards Awareness Project
The Appliance Standards Awareness Project, part of the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), seeks a qualified policy associate for water efficiency. ACEEE, a leading national research organization based in Washington, DC, is an independent, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1980 that acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors.
ACEEE’s organizational culture is collaborative and team-oriented with a strong commitment to its mission. Staff work at an energetic pace within a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with an emphasis on professional growth and development. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work.
The Appliance Standards Awareness Project (ASAP) organizes and leads a broad-based coalition effort that works to advance, win, and defend new appliance, equipment, and lighting standards which deliver large energy and water savings, monetary savings, and environmental benefits. ASAP works at the state and national levels.
The policy associate leads ASAP’s efforts to cut water waste and limit the impacts of climate change by advocating for improved state-level efficiency standards for targeted products. The associate works as part of a team to provide outreach and technical support to state stakeholders working on efficiency standards and regularly uses sound judgment to make decisions independently. The policy associate reports to the ASAP state policy manager. Efficiency standards reduce energy and water consumption and deliver CO2 reductions and other environmental, economic, and social benefits. This job provides an opportunity to create real change by shaping and advancing a proven policy approach for saving water and energy.
Major responsibilities include:
• Conduct research and acquire in-depth knowledge on the efficiency of water-using appliances and equipment.
• Develop and implement advocacy campaigns for state standards.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Provide technical support to a broad array of allies working on state standards.
• Produce written and web-based content (e.g., fact sheets, blog posts, social media content) in order to educate and build support for strengthened state and federal appliance standards.
• Contribute to the development of ASAP’s model legislation annually.
• Track federal rulemakings and provide technical input for water-using products as needed.
• Represent ASAP at conferences and policy meetings.
The position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills, the ability to understand and convey technical material to non-technical audiences, strong interpersonal skills, the awareness and respect of cultural and individual values, the ability to perform multiple tasks independently and the willingness to work as part of a team to achieve objectives.
• Bachelor’s degree and at least four years of relevant work experience
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and complete tasks independently
• Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Office
• Experience working on state and federal policy
Preferred start date: On or about September 30, 2019 or until a suitable candidate is found
Location: Based in Washington, DC
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience, and includes ACEEE’s generous benefits package which includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and brief (1-2 pages) writing sample to email@example.com and use “ASAP” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls. Please let us know how you heard of this opening.